French Open 2018: Day 5 – Match Highlights
Many phenomenal players and dazzling performances were seen on the clay court today. Some players made it to the next round of the French Open including Nadal and Marin Cilic from men’s and Simona and Serena Williams from women’s tennis.
If you missed the highlights of the fourth day of the French Open 2018 then the link is given below:
Allsportspk presents you the highlights of the 5th day of Roland Garros as it happened on Thursday which are as follows:
Men’s Tennis Highlights
Match: Marin Cilic Vs Hubert Hurkacz
Result:Marin Cilic defeated Hubert Hurkacz at the French Open by 6-2, 6-2, 6-7(3), 7-5.
- It was a difficult test for the Croatian,Marin Cilic, to get pass through Hubert Hurkacz in his second round.
- Although, Marin won the first two sets in a rhythm and with a good lead of 6-2 6-2 but, Hubert didn’t let go of the next set easily.
- The third set was played beautifully by both the professional players and Hubert won it on tie by 6-7(3) to remain in the tournament.
- But Marin managed to win the fourth set and sealed the victory to his name.
- Now Marin Cilic will face the American Steve Johnson in the round of 32.
Match: Kyle Edmund Vs Marton Fucsovics
Result: Kyle Edmund defeated Marton Fucsovics at the French Open 2018 by 6-0, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
- What a great start for the British Tennis player, Kyle Edmund, as he won the first set by 6-0.
- But to his surprise Marton won the second set by 1-6 and the game was looking more exciting than ever.
- Third set started and Kyle started to gain points and won the set by 6-2.
- It was all down to the fourth set that whether Marton will survive or not. But, the Britain won his last set and proceeded to the next round.
- Kyle Edmund will play his round of 32 against the Italian player Fabio Fognini.
Match: Denis Shapovalov Vs Maximilian Marterer
Result: Denis Shapovalov defeated Maximilian Marterer at the French Open 2018 by
- Denis, 19-year old, wasn’t happy because of his debut ended in the second round of the French Open.
- Even though, Denis won the first set but the German wasn’t easy to handle and Denis lost all the next three sets.
- Denis was truly disappointed after the match and said that every week is not going to be the same for him. He also highlighted the point that in Madrid Open it was him; but today it was Maximilian’s day.
- Maximilian Marterer will be facing Jurgen Zopp of Estonia in the round of 32.
Match: Lucas Pouille Vs Cameron Norrie
Result: Lucas Pouille defeated Cameron Norrie by 6-2, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6(3).
- Home favourite Lucas Pouille won the fourth set from Cameron Norrie on a tie.
- Their match was held yesterday but due to fading lights the last set wasn’t played and was suspended.
- Cameron gave him a tough fight and could have won the fourth set to survive in the tournament but his luck wasn’t there today with him.
- So, Lucas Pouille advances to the round of 32 where he will play against Karen Khachanov of Russia.
Match: Rafael Nadal Vs Guido Pella
Result: Rafael Nadal defeated Guido Pella by 6-2, 6-1, 6-1.
- Rafael Nadal faced the Argentine, Guido Pella, in the round of 64.
- Nadal, who is looking to win his 11th title at the French Open, defeated Guido in all the sets.
- The Spaniard gave his opponent a big lead in all the sets hence proving, that he’s still the champion on the clay court.
- Rafael Nadal will now face Richard Gasquet of France in the round of 32 whom Nadal has defeated every time in their previous meetings.
Match: Juan Martin del Potro Vs Julien Benneteau
Result: Juan Martin del Potro defeated Julien Benneteau by 6-4, 6-3, 6-2.
- Juan Martin faced a tough player in his second round at Roland Garros.
- Julien struggled hard to beat Juan but he won every set from 2 or 3 points, hence leading Juan’s to the next round of the French Open 2018.
- The Argentine, Juan Martin, said after the match that it wasn’t easy to play against a player like that and he also said that he’s proud by Julien’s performance today.
- Juan will now play against the Spaniard Albert Ramos Vinolas in the round of 32.
Women’s Tennis Highlights
Match: Garbine Muguruza Vs Fiona Ferro
Result: Garbine Muguruza defeated Fiona Ferro Perez by 6-4, 6-3 .
- An exquisite performance on the clay court by the Spaniard-Venezuelan player, Garbine Muguruza, who won from Fiona and proceeded to the next round.
- Fiona tried hard to beat her opponent but Garbine won the two sets with a 2 and 3 lead respectively, hence, winning the match.
- Garbine Muguruza will now face Samantha Stosur of Australia in the round of 32.
Match: Elise Mertens Vs Heather Watson
Result: Elise Mertens defeated Heather Watson by 6-3, 6-4 .
- The Belgian star, Elise Mertens, cruised past the British player by 6-3, 6-4.
- Elise showed great performance on the court today and barely won from Heather as the Britain remained only 2,3 points back from her.
- Elise proceeded to the next round of the French open 2018 and will now face Daria Gavrilova of Australia.
Match: Maria Sharapova Vs Donna Vekic
Result: Maria Sharapova defeated Donna Vekic by 7-5, 6-4,.
- Maria Sharapova was in great form today as she defeated the Croatian in the first two sets and won the match.
- Although, Donna was struggling hard in the first set and she covered points quickly but lost the first set to Maria by 5-7.
- The second set was a deciding set for Donna Vekic but Maria wasn’t a piece of cake to beat and Donna lost the second set too.
- Maria Sharapova made it to the round of 32 at Roland Garros and she will be facing Karolina Pliskova of Czech in her next match.
Match: Simona Halep Vs Taylor Townsend
Result: Simona Halep defeated Taylor Townsend by 6-3, 6-1.
- Twice the runner-up in the French Open,Simona Halep, defeated Taylor easily in today’s round.
- Simona wasn’t playing Tennis at her best and she still won the match against the American Tennis player.
- Despite in bad shape, the Romanian Simona Halep, made it to the round of 32 where she will be facing the German player Andrea Petkovic.
Match: Serena Williams Vs Ashleigh Barty
Result: Serena Williams defeated Ashleigh Barty by 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
- Serena lost the first set with a good lead of 3-6 from the Australian Tennis player Ashleigh Barty.
- Serena didn’t lose hope and bounced back in the game by winning the next two sets by 6-3 and 6-4.
- Due to long absence from the clay court, Serena made about 36 unforced errors which showed that she’s still not back in her mood.
- Despite her bad performance, Serena Williams booked her place in the next round where she will play against the German star Julia Georges.
These were the Men’s and Women’s Tennis highlights of today. Join allsportspk now so that you can see the French Open 2018 day 6.
For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk