|1st Test Match – DAY 5: New Zealand Vs England|
|Date: 26th March, 2018|
|Venue: Eden Park, Auckland.|
|Umpires: Bruce Oxenford, Paul Reiffel
Toss won by: New Zealand elected to field first
|England’s 1st innings: 58 all out (20.4 Overs, RR: 2.8, 94 minutes)|
|New Zealand’s 1st innings: 427/8d (141 Overs, RR: 3.02, 605 minutes)|
|England’s 2nd innings: 320 all out (126.1 Overs, RR: 2.53, 519 minutes)|
|Performers (Day 5):|
|Batting: Ben Stokes 66 off 188 balls, MD Stoneman 55 off 91 balls.|
|Bowling: Trent Boult 3/67 in 27 overs, Neil Wagner 3/77 in 32 overs, TD Astle 3/39 in 16.1 overs.|
|Highlights & Analysis|
1. It was the last day of this test match and England were already 3 wickets down for a total of 132. They needed to show their ultimate defense as a team and not give away wickets.
2. New Zealand on the other side relied on their fast bowlers to clean up this England batting line-up once again, as they did in the first innings.
3. DJ Malan and Ben Stokes got set on the crease and play started. The pair only managed to add ten runs to the total when DJ Malan got out to Southee’s superb bowling.
4. Ben Stokes and Johnny Bairstow built a small partnership of 39 runs but could not convert this into a big one as Bairstow was sent back to the pavilion by Astle.
5. Moeen Ali came to the crease but his batting woes continued as the only managed to score 28 runs after which he given out lbw all thanks to Boult’s accurate bowling.
6. England were now 6 down and New Zealand only needed 4 wickets to go 1-0 in this series. But, then a solid partnership of 83 runs between Chris Woakes and Ben Stokes looked threating as the match was heading down for a draw.
7. But, somehow New Zealand came back in the match as their bowlers dominated the final session of the play. The Kiwi bowling attack led by Astle ripped through England’s lower order that led to New Zealand winning by an innings and 49 runs.
8. Especially, Astle who claimed 3 out of the last 4 wickets to tilt the table on their side. It was a humiliating loss for England but they would be happy with the performance they put on in the 2nd innings.
9. With this victory New Zealand go 1-0 up in this series and will look to win the 2nd and final test match to claim this series.
10. That is it for now folks. Do join us for the next test match that is scheduled for 30 March.
JE Root (c)
KS Williamson (c)
C de Grandhomme
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk|