Santiago Bernabéu Trophy 2018: Real Madrid Claim Their 28th Title
Real Madrid finished off the preseason with a stupendous triumph over AC Milan in their last game, before contending in the UEFA Super Cup in the upcoming week.
Real Madrid win the Santiago Bernabeu Trophy after defeating Milan 3-1. 🎉 pic.twitter.com/CKDu3haMcY
— Goal (@goal) 11 August 2018
The Santiago Bernabéu Trophy or most commonly known by it’s Spanish name, Trofeo Santiago Bernabéu. Real Madrid organises this friendly tournament each year in the memory of the club’s long time president Santiago Bernabéu.
Real Madrid have won this trophy the most number of times, with a total of 28 titles to their name.
— Real Madrid C.F. 🇬🇧🇺🇸 (@realmadriden) 11 August 2018
- Energizing from the very start, the fans adored the match, as it was an exceptionally engaging game, played at a quick pace and the goals were not hard to come by.
- After a Marcelo cross at the 2nd minute, Bale associated with Carvajal so the full-back, with space, put a solid cross onto the head of Benzema who scored a goal with his first risky shot.
- Be that as it may, the Italians did not appear to be intimidated as two minutes later, Higuain, rifled a shot past Real Madrid’s goal keeper, Keylor Navas to make it 1-1.
Higuaín scored his first Milan goal tonight but did not celebrate out of respect to Madridistas. The Bernabéu gave him a standing ovation. He played 264 games for Real Madrid and scored 122 goals. 👏🏼 [marca] pic.twitter.com/r5qYCM97NU
— SB (@Realmadridplace) 11 August 2018
- The initial vigour picked up from the start of this match, continued as Asensio and Bale kept breaking AC Milan’s defence but were constantly being stopped by AC Milan’s defenders.
- And it was only a matter of time, as Real Madrid’s consistent attacks, earned them a reward before the first half, as Bale struck a goal to put Madrid in the lead.
— Ramandeep Sandhu (@ramannoodles19) 12 August 2018
- In the 2nd half, Real Madrid became more dominant as they controlled the midfield, and ball possession in an attempt to create a scoring chance.
- On the other hand, the Italians were searching for a draw, however, Madrid’s goal keeper, Keylor Navas was constantly blocking off their attempts.
- Now, in the 2nd halve’s injury time Borja Mayoral struck the 3rd and last goal of the match, as Real Madrid won yet another title of the Santiago Bernabéu Trophy.
Lopetegui: “I’m not going to talk about past seasons. The Gareth Bale we have now is committed, content, wanting to have a great season. He is training very well, happy, and we are so happy with him. This has only just begun.” #HalaMadrid
— RMadridHome (@RMadridHome_) 12 August 2018
Overall, Julen Lopetegui’s new side played well before the fans and were deservedly granted with their 28th win of the Santiago Bernabéu Trophy.
Ending pre-season with a well deserved Santiago Bernabéu trophy✌️
Good game by the guys and the youngsters. Now the real season is starting, first stop UEFA Supercup vs Atletico Madrid. #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/YkD12tjKtI
— ¹³Z.I.³³ (@ZinedinIsco) 11 August 2018
If we’re going by trophies and achievements, Modrić has to take this one, hands down the only player next to Messi who deserved it in my eyes.
Messi is the better player, but Luka also has UCL, WC Runner up and prolly UEFA SuperCup, and CWC. idk HOW CAN rONALDO WIN THIS ONE
— Hepko (@Hepko1899) August 12, 2018
Luciano Spalletti, Inter Milan: “If Luka Modric didn’t come it’s because Real Madrid wants to count on a player like that. We will continue being a strong side. If Luka Modric comes, we’ll be even stronger.”
— RMadridHome (@RMadridHome_) August 12, 2018
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk