WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup ’19: Chinese Taipai Stun World Champions USa; Media Explodes
KOREA: The four-time title holders and defending World Champions USA were defeated by World No. 4 Chinese Taipei in the Final of the XXIX World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) U-18 Baseball World Cup 2019 at Gijang-Hyundai Dream Ballpark.
According to WBSC reports, the announcement that Chinese Taipei were the newly crowned U-18 World Champions after their 2-1 victory smashed the record for WBSC’s most-liked Facebook post, having registered over 73,000 likes via 2,600 shares at the time of writing, while Tsai’s Facebook post generated over 118,000 likes.
The Final was broadcast live across Chinese Taipei by the island’s biggest sport’s channel, Videoland, while the island’s biggest new outlets ran extensive pre-game, in-game and post-game coverage.
A hero’s welcome is expected at the airport for the newly crowned World Champions, when the team lands on home soil. Weeks ago, Chinese Taipei also won the U-12 Baseball World Cup.
Meanwhile, the hosts Korean came from behind to beat Australia 6-5 and claim the bronze medal.
WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup 2019 – Media Buzz (Reporting period of 30 August – 9 September)
- Over 60 million impressions and over 9 million views were registered across WBSC’s official social media platforms, generating more than 30 million minutes of watch time.
- WBSC posts on social media generated over 430,000 likes and comments.
- The official hashtag #U18WorldCup trended on Twitter, the official social media platform of the WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup 2019.
- The WBSC official website wbsc.org and social media profiles combined to register over 1.2 million visits from users in 168 countries and territories.
- Over 200 press credentials were issued, with media presence at the U-18 World cup including Japanese media giant Yomiuri Shimbun, the most widely circulated newspaper in the world, and various wire services, amassing a cumulative potential readership of over 1 billion per day, according to data from media intelligence company Meltwater.
The road to the WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup 2019 began with the best young baseball players (15-18 years old) and teams representing 38 countries and territories.
Africa (1): South Africa.
Americas (15): Argentina, Bahamas, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Venezuela and USA.
Asia (7): China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea and Sri Lanka.
Europe (10): Czech Republic, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Netherlands Spain and Ukraine.
Oceania (5): American Samoa, Australia, Guam, New Zealand and Palau.
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk