The coronavirus pandemic continues to affect the whole world including sports. Allsportspk Tracks the effect on Global Sports and releases the latest updates on daily happenings.
Updated: 11:30pm PST – 6:30pm GMT; 27th March 2020
- 2020 NFL Draft – Will go ahead as per schedule but players, fans and media will not be present. It will be held from 23-25 April in a television studio, with players interviewed via video conference.
- Cycling 2020 Tour de France – The biggest race according to French Sports Minister of Sports Roxana Maracineanu may go ahead without spectators.
- Tokyo Olympics – IOC has supposedly agreed that the spots booked by athletes will be allowed when the event is held during 2021.
- Tennis Star Novak Djokovic – Donates 1 Million Euros towards Serbian effort in combating Coronavirus Pandemic.
- 2020 World Para Athletics European Championship – Postponed. Were to be held from 2nd to 7th June in Poland.
- Motorsport Indy 500 – Postponed till 23rd August 2020.
- All England Football – Three divisions which constitute the National League to end at once and the results will be completely removed. The same actions will apply to all the women games which are below the Women’s Super League and Championship level.
- Motorsport Spanish Grand Prix – Postponed.
- Wimbledon 2020 – AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club) evaluating all scenarios, including postponement and cancellation.
- Cristiano Ronaldo and agent Jorge Mendes – Donate €1 million (£920,000 – US$1.08 million) to intensive care units in Portugal.
- Lionel Messi and coach of Manchester City Pep Guardiola – Donated one €1 million to Barcelona’s Hospital Clinic for purchasing medical supplies needed to tackle the the coronavirus pandemic in home country Spain.
- Football Japan’s J League – Suspended further extended till May 2020.
- Bangladesh National Cricket Team Players – announced to Donate half of salaries for supporting the country’s effort to handle the deadly coronavirus attack. The players include 27 cricketers.
- Tokyo Olympic 2020 – Postponed for a period of one year till summer 2021. The games were to be held from 24th July 2020.
- World Archery – supported the Postponement decision of Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- UCI Mountain Bike World Cup – 5th round cancelled. Was to take place on 6-7 June.
- Rugby Union-The Champions & Challenge Cups – Postponed both Semi Finals and Finals which were to take place in Marseille, France on 22nd-23rd May.
- Cricket-Indian Premier League – Cancellation seems inevitable after Indian Prime Minister announced a 21-day lock-down to handle the Coronavirus pandemic. And also as the Tokyo Olympics have been shifted to 2021.
- Darts Premier League events – Postponed. All five events which were to be held in April.
- Tokyo Olympics 2020 – The world biggest sports event which was to be held from 24th July 2020, has become a major debate. The varied comments which were issued by various related officials and sports bodies in brief were as follows: * The Prime Minister of Japan, Mr. Shinzo Abe: stated that it would be unavoidable to postpone the Tokyo Olympics if the games cannot be held in a full-fledged manner. Although, speaking at a parliamentary session, the PM had ruled out the cancellation option. * IOC President Sets Deadline to Decide Tokyo Olympics 2020 Future: Final decision to be taken in 4 Weeks. Having denied to consider the cancellation option, the IOC – International Olympic Committee has changed it tone and finally decided to take the final decision based on different options, which could include a postponement. Although, the IOC president Thomas Bach in his Sunday talk did mention possibility of postponement but also emphasised that the event will not be cancelled. * Canadian Olympic Committee + All related Bodies : Favoured Postponement. Decided not to send Athletes if the Olympics are not postponed. * Australian Olympic Committee: Statement was released that “it was clear” that the Tokyo Games will not be able held in 2020 the scheduled year, thereby advised its athletes to prepare for the event during 2021.
- La Liga & Spanish FA Football – Plus all professional football in Spain suspended indefinitely. Future decision subject to the prevailing COVID 19 conditions.
- 13th IPL 2020 – Fate to be decided on 24th March 24. IPL was originally to start from 29th March. Due to COVIC 19 was initially postponed to 15th April.
- Marouane Fellaini, Ex-United and Everton Midfielder – Latest footballer Tests Positive for the Coronavirus.
- Additional Italian footballers test positive to C’ virus – includes AC Milan Paolo Maldini and, Juventus Paulo Dybala.
- Ex Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz, 76 – Dies after being hospitalized with coronavirus. He was the president from 1995-2000
- Tokyo Olympics 2020 – The Brazilian Olympic Committee and the USA Track and Field governing body have asked for suspension the Olympics.
- Formula 1 season – Delayed till around 7th June 2020.
- Ireland Vs Bangladesh Series ’20 – Postponed. The series were scheduled May 2020.
- Cricket England Season – Delayed till May 28.
- LPGA-Ladies Pro Golf Association – Three more events postponed till September 2020.
- Welsh Rugby Union – All competitions Cancelled.
- World Skate Olympic qualifying event – Postponed. The event was to be held in Long Beach, USA, from 7-10 May.
- World Snooker Championship 2020 – Postponed. Was to be held from 18th April till 4th May.
- TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020 – Postponed till15th-23rd August 2020. To be held in Denmark.
The selective previous updates:
- Copa America – Postponed to 2021:
- Roland-Garros / French Tennis Open – Postponed. Will be held from 20th September till 4th October 2020:
- Euro 2020 – Postponed.
- Pakistan Super League – Postponed. The last three matches, the two Semi-finals and Final delayed.
- Australia’s Sheffield Shield – Delayed.
- Cricket World Cup (for Over-50s) Tournament 2020 – Cancelled. Was to be staged in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Olympic Weightlifting Champion Pyrros Dimas – The Greek sports living legend now living in USA is standard in Europe after President Trump announced travel restriction for traveller from Europe. Dimas had gone for meetings of the sport’s international federation.
- European Olympic Boxing qualifiers – Suspended. The event was being held in London and was to conclude on 24th March.
- Wrestle Mania 36 – Will be held in without crowd.