The coronavirus pandemic continues to affect the whole world including sports. Allsportspk Tracks the effect on Global Sports and releases the latest updates.
12:00am PST – 12th April 2020
- Football Anderlecht Team Training – Under the Social Distancing order the Vincent Kompanys team Anderlecht will be back on training from Monday, 13th April at the Neerpede training ground. Already the team has been attending virtual exercise sessions.
- Formula One Drivers Pay cuts – Jarno Trulli a veteran of 256 grands prix believes that it is necessary that in the present conditions, the Formula One drivers need to collectively agree on salary cuts. The F1 management already announced that 50% of the staff had been placed on leave of absence and the senior officials who are not on the job retention scheme had agreed on a 20% pay reduction.
- Football Milan Video Derby Results – Draw Game. The First online derby match between Inter striker Sebastiano Esposito and Milan attacker Rafael Leao ended in a out a exciting 2-2 draw on Pro Evolution Soccer. The match is available on YouTube.
- Liverpool Sir Kenny Dalglish Hospitalized – The Liverpool legend player and manager has been tested positive for coronavirus.
- Bangladesh Vs Australia Test Series – Indefinitely Postponed. The two match Test series were scheduled to be played between 11th to 23rd June in Bangladesh.
- Football Milan Video Derby – AC Milan and Inter Milan the Italian football giants during the coronavirus pandemic will face each other in a video game derby rather the field. According to the schedule: * Milan’s striker Rafael Leao will take on Inter Milan’s Sebastiano Esposito on Saturday at 11:30 GMT on eFootball Pro Evolution Soccer. For audience there will the possibility to donate for fight against to the Milan Foundation. The collected funds will be used to fight against coronavirus in the Italian epic centre – Lombardy area.
- National Basketball Players Pays – According to media reports, National Basketball Players Association announced that the players will receive full pays on 15th April 2020. However, the future salaried could be reduced.
- Chinese Football Club Pay cuts – CSL Chinese Super League announced that player salaries will be cut and for which terms for a “reasonable” reduction is under process.
- Football Premier League club Salary Deferment – Southampton became the first Premier League club to defer their salaries for the months of April, May and June.
- Australian NRL Restart Plans – ARLC Australian Rugby League Commission plans to resume NRL on 28th May. After two rounds the event was suspended on 23rd March.
- Football La Liga club – It was announced that the Real Madrid players and coaches of football (also basketball) teams, including main directors, have agreed to reduce salaries by 10% or 20%.
- Cricket Pakistan Online Fitness Tests – As per media reports, PCB – Pakistan Cricket Board has decided to do online fitness tests of its centrally contracted players on 20th and 21st April 20.
- English – Cricketers’ Association (PCA) – the cricketers have agreed to give maximum reductions in their salaries for the months of April and May. In addition, it has been agreed to waive £1 million ($1.25 million) in prize money.
- Manchester United Donates – The foundation of Premier League club’s have donated protective equipment, other medical supplies and over 3,500 United gifts to staff at NHS Foundation Trusts in Salford and Manchester.
- World Athletics Championships; Oregon 2021 – Postponed till July 2022 to avoid clash with the Tokyo Olympics, which was also postponed due to the coronavirus attack. Held every two years, the original announced date was 6th – 15th August 2021. The new dates announced are 15th – 24th July 2022 in Eugene, Oregon.
- 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Flame – The Olympic organisers in Japan have announced that the Olympic flame which is on public display in the northeastern Fukushima region, will be removed.
- 2020 Madrid Open Tennis Online – The cancelled event as announced by organizers has been converted into an online virtual competition, which will be run during later part of the month. The prime objective is to raise money for the sports men, women and other affectees by coronavirus. Interestingly, the tennis supers like Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and other professionals may also be seen for the first time competing in the Tennis World Tour video game.
- Indian Football Leagues Termination Notices– The Indian football clubs have started feeling the financial impact of COVID 19. The first signs are the termination notices which have been issued to few mostly the overseas football players by applying the ‘Force Majeure’ clause in player contracts, which are valid until May 2020.
- Football Super Cup; Tajikistan – For change a positive news in the world which has had all the sporting and other activities cancelled or postponed, the Tajikistan football kicked off the local football season.
- Football Liverpool club – The management has apologized and taken back its decision to send a few of the non-playing staff on temporary leave.
- Golf PGA Championship – PGA America announced that PGA Championship will be rescheduled for 6th – 9th. The Championship was actually planned for 14th – 17th May.
- Cricket T20 World Cup – According to media reports, the ICC governing body will wait and thoroughly assess the situation arising due to coronavirus pandemic, prior to finalizing the fate of the event. The T20 World cup, is scheduled to be played from 18th October 2020.
- British (Golf) Open – Cancelled. It was scheduled during July 2020 at Royal St. George’s Golf Club in Kent. Since World War II it is the first time that the event has been cancelled.
- Pakistan Cricketers Pay cuts – PCB Pakistan Cricket Board has stated in media that they do not intend to cut pays of the centrally contracted players and other employees for the next three months.
- International Football matches – All scheduled matches for June 2020 have been postponed. This decision was taken during the first meeting of FIFA’s coronavirus working group. Also decided to discuss with confederations for drawing up a revised schedule for the shelved 2022 World Cup qualifiers.
- 5th PSL 2020-Pakistan Super League – PCB – Pakistan Cricket Board confident that the remaining two Semis and Final will be held later part of 2020. For which based two window possibilities are being explored.
- England Cricket Players – Who have a central contracts, in view of financial crisis have agreed to donate £500,000 ($612,000) to the board.
- Boxing Title Fight – Postponed. The fight between the title holder Anthony Joshua Vs Kubrat Pulev, was scheduled for 20th June.
- Football Premier League – Post meeting of 20 clubs the it was deicded that the suspension will be lifted only when it is safe and appropriate to do so. The English league had proposed 30th April as possible date, which was further delayed.
- UEFA Plan for Football Leagues – Considering and formulating a schedule plan to restart leagues for July and August. Thereby, domestic leagues have been advised not to yet abandon matches.
- Cycling Race Tour de Suisse – Cancelled. It was scheduled from 6th-14th June 2020.
- Football Belgian Pro League – Cancelled. First major European League to be cancelled. Bruges Club to be announced champions due to the existing points table .
- 2020 AFL- Australian Football – The season is presently postponed till 31st May. Due to coronavirus impact prolonging, it is expected to be delayed even more by a few months. Although a suggestion of 10 weeks is also under discussion.
- Football Atletico Madrid club – 70% pay cut agreed by the players for helping the support staff.
- Edgbaston Cricket stadium – The parking lot of the ground in Birmingham to be converted into a drive-through coronavirus test centre for NHS workers.
- Motor-racing French Grand Prix – Postponed. Was to be held from 15th-17th May 2020.
- Tennis – 134th Wimbledon Edition – Cancelled. The event was to be held from 29th June – 12th July 2020. The is the first time after 75 years that the championship has been cancelled. It was during World War II (1940 – 45) that the event was cancelled.
- Champions & Europa League 2020 – All matches suspended till further notice.
- Major League Baseball – The series between St Louis Cardinals Vs Chicago Cubs to be held in London, United Kingdom have been cancelled.
- British Formula 1 Grand Prix – End of April has been decided as deadline to decide whether the race, which was to scheduled in July will take place or become another sports casualty due to the coronavirus attack.
- England cricket team – the players have refused a request of ECB-England Cricket Board to take a temporary pay cut.
- Football Marseille Ex-President – Pape Diouf aged 68 years from Senegal died due to coronavirus.
- Wimbledon 2020 – As per reports, unofficially the senior organisers have said, that although the final decision is still awaited, however, the cancellation is inevitable for the event which is scheduled for 29th June 2020. If so, it would be the first time since 2nd World War.
- Football Tottenham – The club announced that the 550 non-playing staff will take a 20% pay cut. The chairman Daniel Levy expressing his opinion said that the people need to wake up to the horror of the coronavirus attack.
- Tennis Remaining Season – Mr. Craig Tiley, CEO Tennis Australia stated that due to the existing coronavirus situation, the remaining 2020 season could be lost. Talking to the media, he elaborated that in his personal opinion it will be tough for global tennis to be back in 2020. As travel factor is essential so that will probably be the last thing which comes back. Although, the domestic events have a strong possibility.
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics – The postponement to 2021 has had a major impact on Japan’s hotels and tourism industry, which like the whole world is already suffering from the the coronavirus pandemic.
- Cricket IPL 2020 – Talking to media a senior franchise official stated, that in view of the BCCI guidelines, none of the players will be presently paid. While the Indian Cricketers’ Association, President Ashok Malhotra mentioned that the without the IPL event the economic impact could be enormous. With the domestic players also having to accept pay reduction.
- Heavyweight Boxing Fights – Called Off. The heavyweight fights between Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetki and Oleksandr Usyk vs Dereck Chisora were the latest casualty of the Coronavirus attack. Both the fights were scheduled in United Kingdom.
- Pakistan Athletes Fund – Government of Pakistan has created a fund to help national athletes who are or may be affected by coronavirus. The fund will cover all medical expenses of sports persons.
- Football Barcelona Pay cut – Lionel Messi announced that he and the rest of his teammates have agreed to a 70 per cent pay cut. Primarily, to enable the club to pay the non-playing staff. Besides, Messi also blamed the board, for undermining the players while doing the negotiations.
- NRL Financial Rescue – ARLC-Australian Rugby League Commission chairperson Peter V’landys and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, announced the revised financial rescue plan of Australian $ 40 million for all the 16 clubs. This was for the clubs to survive the operating costs during the financial year during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Asia Cup 2020 – Ehsan Mani the Chief Executive of Pakistan Cricket Board mentioned that due to the Coronavirus situation, the ACC-Asian Cricket Council is yet to take a decision on the Asia Cup.
- NRL-National Rugby League Players – Michael Maguire the Wests Tigers head coach believes that on a week notice, the NRL athletes need to be ready to play. On 23rd March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NRL season was postponed.
- The 2020 Tokyo Olympics – according to unofficial reports which were recently postponed will hopefully be held on 23rd July, 2021.
- Football-Juventus Pay Wage Reduction – players and coach Maurizio Sarri reached an agreement that will save the club, euros 90 million – US$100.26 million.
- 13th IPL -Indian Premier League – likely to be cancelled.
- Motorsports Formula One – Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto stated that the race is expected to conclude in January 2021.
- Andriy Shevchenko – who was the Ex AC Milan and Chelsea forward said that he believes the coronavirus attack is same as the Chernobyl disaster.
- Sofia Shapatava a Georgian Tennis player – worried about the prevailing situation created due to the coronavirus crisis, started a petition on change.org. In the petition she has asked for ITP – International Tennis Federation, ATP – Association of Tennis Professionals and WTA – Women Tennis Association to financially support the affected players. 650 plus players have signed the petition.
- The President of UEFA Aleksander Ceferin – stated that if the the current football season does not start by June 2020, then there is a strong possibility that the season could be lost.
- NBA Utah Jazz – All team players and management including Players Rudy Govert, Donovan Mitchell who were in self isolation have been cleared.
- Premier League, EFL and Professional Footballers’ Association – gave a joint statement that the financial implications of coronavirus on English football, would involve “Difficult decisions…”
- BCCI – Board of Control for Cricket in India – Will donate Rs 510 million to the Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations Fund.
- Spanish Football – Atletico Madrid a major La Liga Club has also requested the labour authorities to authorize reducing of the player and staff salaries.
- 2020 NFL Draft – Will go ahead as per schedule but players, fans and media will not be present. It will be held from 23-25 April in a television studio, with players interviewed via video conference.
- Cycling 2020 Tour de France – The biggest race according to French Sports Minister of Sports Roxana Maracineanu may go ahead without spectators.
- Tokyo Olympics – IOC has supposedly agreed that the spots booked by athletes will be allowed when the event is held during 2021.
- Tennis Star Novak Djokovic – Donates 1 Million Euros towards Serbian effort in combating Coronavirus Pandemic.
- 2020 World Para Athletics European Championship – Postponed. Were to be held from 2nd to 7th June in Poland.
- Motorsport Indy 500 – Postponed till 23rd August 2020.
- All England Football – Three divisions which constitute the National League to end at once and the results will be completely removed. The same actions will apply to all the women games which are below the Women’s Super League and Championship level.
- Motorsport Spanish Grand Prix – Postponed.
- Wimbledon 2020 – AELTC (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club) evaluating all scenarios, including postponement and cancellation.
- Cristiano Ronaldo and agent Jorge Mendes – Donate €1 million (£920,000 – US$1.08 million) to intensive care units in Portugal.
- Lionel Messi and coach of Manchester City Pep Guardiola – Donated one €1 million to Barcelona’s Hospital Clinic for purchasing medical supplies needed to tackle the the coronavirus pandemic in home country Spain.
- Football Japan’s J League – Suspended further extended till May 2020.
- Bangladesh National Cricket Team Players – announced to Donate half of salaries for supporting the country’s effort to handle the deadly coronavirus attack. The players include 27 cricketers.
- Tokyo Olympic 2020 – Postponed for a period of one year till summer 2021. The games were to be held from 24th July 2020.
- World Archery – supported the Postponement decision of Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- UCI Mountain Bike World Cup – 5th round cancelled. Was to take place on 6-7 June.
- Rugby Union-The Champions & Challenge Cups – Postponed both Semi Finals and Finals which were to take place in Marseille, France on 22nd-23rd May.
- Cricket-Indian Premier League – Cancellation seems inevitable after Indian Prime Minister announced a 21-day lock-down to handle the Coronavirus pandemic. And also as the Tokyo Olympics have been shifted to 2021.
- Darts Premier League events – Postponed. All five events which were to be held in April.
- Tokyo Olympics 2020 – The world biggest sports event which was to be held from 24th July 2020, has become a major debate. The varied comments which were issued by various related officials and sports bodies in brief were as follows: * The Prime Minister of Japan, Mr. Shinzo Abe: stated that it would be unavoidable to postpone the Tokyo Olympics if the games cannot be held in a full-fledged manner. Although, speaking at a parliamentary session, the PM had ruled out the cancellation option. * IOC President Sets Deadline to Decide Tokyo Olympics 2020 Future: Final decision to be taken in 4 Weeks. Having denied to consider the cancellation option, the IOC – International Olympic Committee has changed it tone and finally decided to take the final decision based on different options, which could include a postponement. Although, the IOC president Thomas Bach in his Sunday talk did mention possibility of postponement but also emphasised that the event will not be cancelled. * Canadian Olympic Committee + All related Bodies : Favoured Postponement. Decided not to send Athletes if the Olympics are not postponed. * Australian Olympic Committee: Statement was released that “it was clear” that the Tokyo Games will not be able held in 2020 the scheduled year, thereby advised its athletes to prepare for the event during 2021.
- La Liga & Spanish FA Football – Plus all professional football in Spain suspended indefinitely. Future decision subject to the prevailing COVID 19 conditions.
- 13th IPL 2020 – Fate to be decided on 24th March 24. IPL was originally to start from 29th March. Due to COVIC 19 was initially postponed to 15th April.
- Marouane Fellaini, Ex-United and Everton Midfielder – Latest footballer Tests Positive for the Coronavirus.
- Additional Italian footballers test positive to C’ virus – includes AC Milan Paolo Maldini and, Juventus Paulo Dybala.
- Ex Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz, 76 – Dies after being hospitalized with coronavirus. He was the president from 1995-2000
- Tokyo Olympics 2020 – The Brazilian Olympic Committee and the USA Track and Field governing body have asked for suspension the Olympics.
- Formula 1 season – Delayed till around 7th June 2020.
- Ireland Vs Bangladesh Series ’20 – Postponed. The series were scheduled May 2020.
- Cricket England Season – Delayed till May 28.
- LPGA-Ladies Pro Golf Association – Three more events postponed till September 2020.
- Welsh Rugby Union – All competitions Cancelled.
- World Skate Olympic qualifying event – Postponed. The event was to be held in Long Beach, USA, from 7-10 May.
- World Snooker Championship 2020 – Postponed. Was to be held from 18th April till 4th May.
- TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020 – Postponed till15th-23rd August 2020. To be held in Denmark.
The selective previous updates:
- Copa America – Postponed to 2021:
- Roland-Garros / French Tennis Open – Postponed. Will be held from 20th September till 4th October 2020:
- Euro 2020 – Postponed.
- Pakistan Super League – Postponed. The last three matches, the two Semi-finals and Final delayed.
- Australia’s Sheffield Shield – Delayed.
- Cricket World Cup (for Over-50s) Tournament 2020 – Cancelled. Was to be staged in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Olympic Weightlifting Champion Pyrros Dimas – The Greek sports living legend now living in USA is standard in Europe after President Trump announced travel restriction for traveller from Europe. Dimas had gone for meetings of the sport’s international federation.
- European Olympic Boxing qualifiers – Suspended. The event was being held in London and was to conclude on 24th March.
- Wrestle Mania 36 – Will be held in without crowd.