India Vs England 2nd ODI
||India Vs England
| Match Basics
|2nd ODI: India Vs England
|Date: 14th July, 2018
|Venue: Lord’s, London
|Umpires: Bruce Oxenford, Alex Wharf
|Toss won by: England, elected to bat first
| Scorecard Summary
|England’s Innings: 322/7 (50 Overs, RR: 6.44)
|Batting: Jason Roy 40 off 42 balls, Joe Root 113 off 116 balls, Eoin Morgan 53 off 51 balls, Johnny Bairstwo 38 off 31 balls, David Willey 50 off 31 balls.
|Bowling: Umesh Yadav 1/63 in 10 overs, Kuldeep Yadav 3/68 in 10 overs, YS Chahal 1/43 in 10 overs.
|Target: 323 runs from 50 overs.
|India’s Innings: 236 all out (50 Overs, RR: 4.72)
|Batting: Shikhar Dhawan 36 off 30 balls, Virat Kohli 45 off 56 balls, Suresh Raina 46 off 63 balls, MS Dhoni 37 off 59 balls, Hardik Pandya 21 off 22 balls.
|Bowling: Liam Plunkett 4/46 in 10 overs, Adil Rashid 2/38 in 10 overs, David Willey 2/48 in 10 overs, Mark Wood 1/31 in 5 overs, Moeen Ali 1/42 in 10 overs.
|Result: England won by 86 runs.
|Man of the Match: Joe Root
|Highlights & Analysis
|India Vs England: 1st Innings
- The pitch had some live grass on it but overall it’s appearance was dry. This factor plus the square boundary being quite smaller than the other one made it a good wicket to bat on.
- For this reason, England’s captain, Morgan chose to bat first. On the other hand, Kohli was pretty content with the toss as he would have chosen to field first.
- Play started as Jason Roy and Johnny Bairstow walked out to bat and Umesh Yadav was given the new ball by the Indian captain.
- And as expected England got off to a flying start and mustered up the 50 run partnership in 8 overs.
- Kohli made a change of tactics and brought the spinner, Chahal into the attack.
- The spinner put pressure on the batsmen and Kuldeep Yadav came from the other end and got the wicket of Bairstow.
- Joe Root joined Jason Roy. Both batsmen stood at the crease for 3 more overs before Roy failed the spin test once again as Kuldeep Yadav claimed his wicket.
- The England captain Eoin Morgan joined Joe Root. The pair used their experience very well against the Indian spinners and brought up the second fifty run partnership of the match.
- Kohli made regular changes in bowling but the Morgan and Root had every answer to the tactics of the Indian captain.
- Joe Root got to his fifty as the partnership between the two reached a hundred runs.
- Soon, Eoin Morgan also reached his half century but departed in the very same over to India’s trump card, Kuldeep Yadav.
- Ben Stokes joined Joe Root. At this point, England were 3 wickets down for 189 runs and over 19 overs to go.
- India needed to make a grip on this this match and it was given to them by Hardik Pandya as Stokes lost his wicket after managing 5 runs off the bat.
- The in-form Jos Buttler joined Joe Root. Kohli knew the importance of his wicket and brought Umesh Yadav into the attack.
- This tactic worked as Buttler’s mistake to play the ball close to his body gave Umesh Yadav his first wicket of the match.
- Moeen Ali joined Joe Root. The pair added 26 runs to the total after which Chahal claimed the wicket of Ali.
- David Willey joined Joe Root. At this point, England were 6 wickets down with 239 runs on the board and only 8 overs in hand.
- Willey went berserk from one end while Root continued with his cautious approach to reach his first ODI century at Lords.
- David Willey also reached his fitfty but Kaul got his wicket on the last ball of the innings as England finished on 322 runs.
India Vs England: 2nd Innings
- With 323 runs required to win this match, Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan opened the batting for India. Mark Wood and David Willey started off for England.
- Dhawan took the aggressive route while Sharma rotated the strike thus giving his partner more liberty to score.
- After 8 overs, India had reached 49 runs without a loss of a single wicket.
- Surprisingly, Mark Wood was given his fifth over by the England captain.
- This tactic bore fruit as Mark Wood shattered the stumps of Rohit Sharma to provide England with their first breakthrough.
- Virat Kohli joined Shikhar Dhawan and the English captain brought Liam Plunkett into the attack.
- This change in bowling worked as Plunkett claimed the wicket of KL Rahul who bagged a 2 ball duck.
- Suresh Raina joined Virat Kohli and India had some serious rebuilding to do.
- The pair led the perfect counter attack on English bowlers and brought up the first 50 run stand of the innings.
- Now, Eoin Morgan brought Adil Rashid from the other end and the spin duo began to induce pressure from both ends.
- Chances were dropped but finally it was Moeen Ali who pinned Virat Kohli lbw to break this stubborn partnership.
- Now, MS Dhoni joined Suresh Raina. At this point, India needed 183 runs to win from 23 overs with 6 wickets in hand.
- Morgan continued with his spin duo i.e. Ali and Rashid. The dot ball pressure began to build on Suresh Raina who lost his wicket to Adil Rashid.
- Hardik Pandya joined MS Dhoni. India needed 169 runs from 19 overs and this match(India Vs England) was now clearly in the favour of the English.
- Dhoni and Hardik added some crucial runs to the total after which Plunkett was introduced from the other end.
- The pacer repeated his performance and got another wicket, this time of Hardik Pandya. England could now practically see themselves winning this match(India Vs England).
- Umesh Yadav joined Dhoni but he bagged a duck as Adil Rashid got his 2nd wicket of the match.
- Kuldeep Yadav joined Dhoni who was not accelerating in any way, shape or form.
- Dhoni’s sluggishness cost him his wicket followed by Kaul who got out in the same over.
- Chahal and Kuldeep brought the target below 100 runs but India eventually lost the last wicket and the match by 86 runs.
- Joe Root was named the player of the match(India Vs England) for his excellent century.
India Vs England – 1st ODI: Kuldeep, Rohit Dismantle England
This is the end of India Vs England 2nd ODI. Join Allsportspk on 17th July, Tuesday for the 3rd and decisive ODI of this series (India Vs England).
MS Dhoni (Wkt.)
V Kohli (Capt.)
JM Bairstow (Wkt.)
EJG Morgan (Capt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk
error: Content is protected !!