||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|2nd Test Match – Day 3: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 22nd July, 2018
|Venue: Sinhalese Sports Club Groung, Colombo
|Umpires: Rod Tucker, Nigel Llong
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to bat first.
|Sri Lanka’s 2nd Innings: 275/5d (81 Overs, RR: 3.39)
|Performers (Day 3):
|Batting: Karunaratne 85 off 136 balls, Kusal Mendis 18 off 27 balls, Angelo Matthews 71 off 147 balls, Roshen Silva 32 off 99 balls.
|Bowling: Keshav Maharaj 3/154 in 40 overs, Lungi Ngidi 1/9 in 9 overs.
|South Africa’s 2nd Innings: 139/5 (41 Overs, RR: 3.39)
|Performers (Day 3):
|Batting: Dean Elgar 37 off 80 balls, De Bruyn 45* off 97balls, T Bavuma 14* off 17 balls.
|Bowling: Rangana Herath 2/54 in 15 overs, Dilruwan Perera 1/38 in 16 overs, Akila Dananjaya 2/35 in 10 overs.
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri Lanka 2nd Innings(continued)
- On Day 3 of this test, the cracks on this pitch were beginning to appear.
- With a solid lead of 365 runs to their side, Sri Lankan batsmen, Karunaratne and Matthews walked out to bat. For South Africa, Maharaj and Rabada shared the ball from each end.
- The pair extended their partnership to 63 after which Karunaratne fell 15 runs short of his century; courtesy of Ngidi’s excellent line & length.
- Roshen Silva joined Angelo Matthews. The pair took the lead above 450 and Matthews reached his half century.
- The pair shared 64 runs in this partnership after which Maharaj claimed the wicket of Matthews.
- Dickwella joined Roshen Silva as Sri Lanka targeted a total of 500.
- Both batsmen took the lead to 490 and surprisingly, Lakmal declared the innings on 490, just 10 short of an even 500.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka: South Africa 2nd Innings
- With 491 runs required to win this test, Proteas openers, Dean Elgar and Aiden Markram walked out to bat.
- As usual, Lakmal gave the ball to his two trusted spinners; Herath & Dilruwan.
- A shaky start was witnessed by the openers and it was only a matter of time before Herath claimed the wicket of Markram.
- De Bruyn joined Dean Elgar. The pair added another 19 runs to the total after which tea was called on Day 3 of this test(South Africa Vs Sri Lanka).
- Post tea, the pair continued to cash on Sri Lanka’s on-field sloppiness and took the partnership to 38 runs.
- However, Lankans remained confident and finally Perera broke this stand by claiming the wicket of Dean Elgar.
- Hashim Amla joined De Bruyn and after struggling for 6 overs, the batsman departed off Herath’s bowling.
- At this point, South Africa had lost 3 wickets and still needed 391 runs to win this match. Now, the South African captain, Du Plessis joined De Bruyn.
- The pair could only add 13 more runs after which Dananjaya claimed the wicket of Du Plessis.
- Maharaj came in as the nightwatchman but he departed on the very next ball to Dananjaya.
- South Africa had now lost half of their wickets and still needed 378 run to win this test.
- Bavuma joined De Bruyn. The pair added 26 runs to the total and did not lose their wickets.
- South Africa ended the day on 139 runs with 5 wickets in hand. This means that they would have to make 352 runs in the next two days or get clean sweeped by Sri Lanka.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test Day 1: Maharaj Takes Eight; Proteas On Top
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test Day 2: Proteas Struggle Against Spin; Lankans In The Lead
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test, Day 3. Join allsportpk tomorrow for the 2nd day of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test Day 4.
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
RAS Lakmal (Capt.)
F du Plessis (Capt.)
Q de Kock (Wkt.)
TB de Bruyn
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk