South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test: Day 2
||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|2nd Test Match – Day 2: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 21st July, 2018
|Venue: Sinhalese Sports Club Groung, Colombo
|Umpires: Rod Tucker, Nigel Llong
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to bat first.
|Sri Lanka’s 1st Innings: 338 all out (104.1 Overs, RR: 3.24)
|Performers (Day 2):
|Batting: Herath 35 off 68 balls, Dananjaya 43* off 91 balls.
|Bowling: Keshav Maharaj 9/129 in 41.1 overs.
|South Africa’s 1st Innings: 124 all out (34.5 Overs, RR: 3.55)
|Performers (Day 2):
|Batting: Faf du Plessis 48 off 51 balls, Quinton de Kock 32 off 31 balls, Hashim Amla 19 off 58 balls.
|Bowling: Dilruwan Perera 4/40 in 12.5 overs, Akila Dananjaya 5/52 in 13 overs, Rangana Herath 1/32 in 9 overs
|Sri Lanka’s 2nd Innings(continued): 151/3 (34 Overs, RR: 4.44)
|Performers (Day 2):
|Batting: Gunathilaka 61 off 68 balls, Karunaratne 59* of 92 balls, Kusal Mendis 18 off 27 balls.
|Bowling: Keshav Maharaj 2/90 in 17 overs
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri Lanka 1st Innings(continued)
- With 277 runs on the board and only one wicket in hand, Herath and Dananjaya came out to bat.
- For South Africa, Maharaj and Rabada opened the bowling from both ends.
- The pair led Sri Lanka past 300 runs and 350 was now in sight.
- South Africa introduced Dale Steyn into the attack. Maharaj continued from the other end.
- This tactic worked as Maharaj claimed the wicket of Herath and completed his 9 wicket haul.
- With this achievement, Maharaj became only the 2nd bowler for South Africa to take 9 wickets in a single innings of a test match.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka: South Africa 1st Innings
- Trailing by 338 runs, the Proteas openers, Markram and Dean Elgar came out to bat.
- For Sri Lanka, the new ball was shared between Dilruwan Perera and Akila Dananjaya from their respective ends.
- Dilruwan got a hint of turn and bounce in the first over. And, in the very next over, Dananjaya used this turn to shatter the stumps of Elgar in his first over.
- De Bruyn joined Markram. The pair did not survive for long, as Dananjaya repeated the same excellence in his 2nd over, to snuff out the wicket of De Bruyn.
- At this point, South Africa had lost 2 wickets and were still trailing by 330 runs.
- Hashim Amla joined Markram. The pair retaliated against Dananjaya and Dilruwan by defying the spinners with not gifting away their wicket.
- Now, Lakmal introduced Sri Lanka’s most experienced spinner, Rangana Herath into the attack who replaced Dilruwan from the other end.
- Herath performed up to Sri Lanka’s expectations as he got the wicket of Markram in his second over.
- Now, the South African captain, Faf du Plessis joined Hashim Amla. The pair survived the next 2 overs until lunch was called on Day 2.
- Post lunch, Du Plessis went berserk on both Dananjaya and Herath. Boundaries began to flow off his bat at a constant rate and this forced a change from Lakmal.
- Perera was introduced back into the attack while Herath continued from the other end.
- On the other hand, Du Plessis and Amla reached the first fifty run partnership of this match.
- But, this joy was short lived, as 5 runs later, Perera ended Amla’s defensive innings to claim his first wicket of the match.
- Bavuma joined Faf du Plessis. The pair added 15 runs to the total after which Faf du Plessis gifted his wicket to Perera.
- At this point, South Africa had lost half of their wickets and were trailing by 253 runs.
- Quinton de Kock joined Bavuma. The pair looked solid and took South Africa over 100 runs.
- However, this small partnership was broken by Perera who claimed the wicket of Bavuma.
- Keshav Maharaj joined De Kock but he departed in the very next over to Dananjaya.
- The last three wickets fell in the next 3 overs as Dananjaya claimed his 5 wicket haul to bowl South Africa for 124 runs.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka: Sri Lanka 2nd Innings
- With a massive lead of 214 runs to their side, Sri Lankan openers Karunaratne and Gunathilaka walked out to bat.
- For South Africa, Maharaj and Rabada shared the ball from each end respectively.
- As expected, the two batsmen outplayed the Proteas bowlers and brought up the first 50 run partnership of the match.
- Runs were flowing at a constant rate as Gunathilaka finally reached his half century.
- At this point, Sri Lanka were in the lead by over 300 runs.
- South Africa needed wickets and Maharaj’s consistency with the ball finally gifted him with his 10th wicket of the match; A proud effort.
- De Silva joined Karunaratne but his aggressiveness cost him his wicket as Maharaj claim his 11th scalp.
- Kusal Mendis joined Karunaratne. The pair added 27 runs to the total as Karunaratne reached yet another half century.
- This stand was ended in a run-out of Mendis as Sri Lanka lost their 3rd wicket.
- Angelo Matthews joined Karunaratne. The pair added 14 runs to the total as stumps were called on Day 2 of this test(South Africa Vs Sri Lanka).
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 2nd Test Day 1: Maharaj Takes Eight; Proteas On Top
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test, Day 2. Join allsportpk tomorrow for the 2nd day of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test Day 3.
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
RAS Lakmal (Capt.)
F du Plessis (Capt.)
Q de Kock (Wkt.)
TB de Bruyn
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk
error: Content is protected !!