South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st Test: Day 1
||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|2nd Test Match – Day 1: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 20th July, 2018
|Venue: Sinhalese Sports Club Groung, Colombo
|Umpires: Rod Tucker, Nigel Llong
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to bat first.
|Sri Lanka’s 1st Innings: 277/9 (86 Overs, RR: 3.22)
|Performers (Day 1):
|Batting: Gunathilaka 57 off 107 balls, Karunaratne 53 off 110 balls, DE Silva 60 off 109 balls, Kusal Mendis 21 off 34 balls, Roshen Silva 22 off 46 balls.
|Bowling: Keshav Maharaj 8/116 in 32 overs, Kagiso Rabada 1/37 in 16 overs.
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri Lanka 1st Innings
- This was the 2nd and last test of this series with the hosts being the clear favourites to clean sweep South Africa.
- Once again, this pitch was a spinning track and was dry with some rough areas which were going to assist sharp turn.
- This influenced Lakmal’s decision to bat first who hoped that this pitch would become good for batting in the 4th innings.
- Sri Lankan openers, Karunaratne and Gunathilaka came out to bat. For South Africa, the new ball was shared between Steyn and Rabada.
- The fast bowling pair created some early chances but the pair did not stutter and put up a 30 run stand in 7 overs.
- Lungi Ngidi was introduced into the attack but the opening batsmen stood strong and brought up the first 50 run partnership of the innings.
- Keshav Maharaj was induced into the attack and immediately began to make problems for the Sri Lankan batsmen.
- But this did not stop Karunaratne who reached his half century as Sri Lanka reached 100 runs without a loss of a wicket.
- In the same over, Gunathilaka also reached his fifty and Proteas were in desperate need for a wicket.
- Finally, Maharaj struck in his 11th over by claiming the wicket of Karunaratne and South Africa got their first breakthrough.
- De Silva joined Gunathilaka. But, this stand lasted only one over as Maharaj took the wicket of Gunathilaka to claim his 2nd wicket of the innings.
- Kusal Mendis joined De Silva. The pair added 19 runs to the total and drinks were called on Day 1 of this test(South Africa vs Sri Lanka).
- Post drinks, Rabada and Maharaj continued from their ends and the spinner broke this 36 run stand by claiming the wicket of Kusal Mendis.
- Angelo Matthews joined De Silva. The pair added 15 runs to the total as tea was called on Day 1 of this test(South Africa vs Sri Lanka).
- Post tea, Maharaj struck straightaway as he claimed the wicket of Angelo Matthews.
- Roshen Silva joined De Silva. At this point, Sri Lanka had scored 169 runs with 6 wickets in hand.
- The pair defied Maharaj and shared the second 50 run stand of the innings. De Silva also reached his fifty and Sri Lanka were now 4 wickets down for 223 runs on the board.
- This stand was finally broken by Rabada who shattered Roshen Silva’s stumps with an excellent yorker and Sri Lanka lost their 5th wicket.
- Dickwella joined De Silva. The pair added 15 runs to the total after which Maharaj claimed the wicket of Dickwella.
- Perera joined De Silva. This partnership only lasted for one over as Maharaj struck again to claim the wicket of De Silva.
- Akila joined Perera. The pair added 18 runs to the total after which Maharaj struck twice in one over to remove Perera and the new batsman, Lakmal.
- With only 3 overs left in the day’s end, Herath joined Akila. The pair survived Maharaj’s bowling as Sri Lanka ended their day on 277 runs for the loss of 9 wickets.
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test, Day 1. Join allsportpk tomorrow for the 2nd day of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test Day 2.
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
RAS Lakmal (Capt.)
F du Plessis (Capt.)
Q de Kock (Wkt.)
TB de Bruyn
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk
error: Content is protected !!