4th HTR Masters Cup Tennis Tournament: Aisamul & Aqeel In Doubles Final
LAHORE: The top seeded doubles pair of Aisamul Haq Qureshi and Aqeel Khan have moved into the final of the of 4th HTR – Hassan Tariq Rahim Masters Cup (Invitational) Tennis Tournament being played at Lahore Gymkhana Courts.
They defeated the pair of Mohammad Abid and Muhammad Waqas Malik in straight set with the score 6-3 and 6-3.
The other pair that made the final was Heera Ashiq and Abdul Haider. They staged the first upset of the Masters Cup, by overcoming the dominance shown by the pair of Shahzad Khan and Ahmed Chaudhary and winning with the score of 6-4, 1-6 and 10-4.
On 27th December – Thursday, round matches in the Under-18, Ladies and Men’s Singles were also played and the winners of their round matches were:
- Muhamamd Nauman Aftab and Huzaifa Abudl Rehman; Aqeel Khan, Mudasir Murtaza, Muhammad Shoaib, and Muhammad Abid; Noor Malik, Sara Mansoor and Mehak Khokhar.
In the Men’s Singles round encounters:
- Pakistan No. 1 Aqeel Khan was given a tough time by Heera Ashiq. Although in the end the win was easy for Aqeel but it was an indication that the Pakistan Tennis Federation need to explore more for future of country’s Davis Cup success. Aqeel, however, used his experience to overcome Heera 6-3 and 6-4.
- Muddasir Murtaza started the day with a toothless fight from Ahmed Kamil. His straight set win finished 6-2 and 6-1.
- The two other men’s singles were a surprise pack in which the winners Muhammad Shoaib and Muhammad Abid were tested fully by Yousaf Khalil and Muzzamil Mutaza respectively. Shoaib having won the opening set of the match but caved in to the pressure exalted by Yousaf in the very next set that brought the match to an even keel, one set for each. But Shoaib gathered his guts and prevailed in the third set to the match 6-2, 2-6 and 6-0.
- Similarly, Abid was taken to a tie break for a number of times by Muzamil. Abid probably thought by winning the opening set 6-2 that the match is going to be a piece of cake but it was otherwise a good encounter to remember. In the second set Abid was taken to a tie-break 7-6 (4) but in the end it was a relief for him with a win.
In the Under-18 Boys Singles:
- Muhamamd Nauman Aftab and Huzaifa Abdul Rehman booked places in to the next round. Nauman was the first to reach the next stage after he defeated Ahmed Kamil after a battle of nerves and resistance. Though the score speaks differently 6-4 and 6-3, Kamil posed quite a tough fight and made Nauman struggle for each point to win.
- In the second under-18 match, Huzaifa beat Saqib Hayat in straight sets. The match started with good pace but Saqib later wilted to lose the match. Huzaifa won in the end with a score of 6-2 and 6-1.
In Ladies Singles:
- Noor Mailk beat Shinza Naz Durab 6-4, 3-3 retd,
- Sara Mansoor beat Mahwish Chishti 6-1, 6-1 and
- Mehak beat Esha Jawed 6-1, 7-6 (3).
For updates regularly visit: allsportspk