IAAF World Athletics Championships Doha ’19: Zurich Winners Earn Wild Card Entry
The 16 individual event winners at IAAF Diamond League besides winning in Zurich a $50,000 bonus, also earned a wild card entry to the IAAF World Athletics Championships. The 2019 edition is to be held in Doha, Qatar and start on 27th September.
A second group of 16 wild cards will be awarded at the 2nd IAAF Diamond League final in Brussels on 5th-6th September 2019.
Winners in Zurich had already qualified for at least one event in the World Championships, however, the wild card for some, would make the way to competing in an additional discipline or open up a fourth spot on their national team for a teammate.
The winners of 2017 IAAF World Championships have also been awarded the wild cards as well as the leaders in the IAAF Hammer Throw Challenge, Race Walk Challenge and Combined Events Challenge. As per the rules if both are from the same country, only one of the two athletes can be entered as a wild card entry. The final acceptance of wild cards is at the discretion of member federations.
The wild cards winners were:
- 100m: Noah Lyles (USA)
- 800m: Donavan Brazier (USA)
- 5000m: Joshua Cheptegei (UGA)
- 400m hurdles: Karsten Warholm (NOR)
- High jump: Andrii Protsenko (UKR)
- Pole vault: Sam Kendricks (USA)
- Long jump: Juan Miguel Echevarria (CUB)
- Javelin: Magnus Kirt (EST)
- 200m: Shaunae Miller-Uibo (BAH)
- 400m: Salwa Eid Naser (BRN)
- 1500m: Sifan Hassan (NED)
- 3000m steeplechase: Beatrice Chepkoech (KEN)
- 400m hurdles: Sydney McLaughlin (USA)
- Triple jump: Shanieka Ricketts (JAM)
- Shot put: Gong Lijiao (CHN)
- Javelin: Lyu Huihui (CHN)
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk