|PSL 2018: Schedule|
|PSL 3 Final Match: Peshawar Zalmi Vs Islamabad United|
|Date: 25th March, 2018|
|Venue: National Stadium, Karachi.|
|Umpires: Shozab Raza, Aleem Dar|
|Toss won by: Peshawar Zalmi, elected to bat first|
|1st Team Play: 148/9 (20 Overs, RR: 7.4)|
|Batting: Wahab Riaz 30 off 15 balls, Liam Dawson 33 off 30 balls, Chris Jordan 36 off 26 balls.|
|Bowling: Samit Patel 2/26 in 4 overs, Hussain Talat 2/18 in 2 overs , Shadab Khan 3/25 in 4 overs.|
|Target: 149 runs in 20 overs.|
|2ND Team Play: 156/9 (20 Overs, RR: 7.8)|
|Batting: Luke Ronchi 52 off 26 balls, Sahibzada Farhan 44 off 33 balls, Asif Ali 26* off 6 balls.|
|Bowling: Chris Jordan 2/22 in 3 overs, Wahab Riaz 2/28 in 3.5 overs.|
|Player of the match: Luke Ronchi|
|Result: Islamabad United won by 3 wickets.|
|Highlights & Analysis|
1. The final match of PSL was held between Islamabad United and Peshawar Zalmi in Karachi with flying colors. Both teams were looking to win this season and lift the trophy second time. But, only one team was going to emerge as the winner in this high-profile match.
2. Peshawar Zalmi won the toss and opt to bat first. Their openers Kamran Akmal and Andre Fletcher walked out in the middle followed by the huge roars of the crowd in their support.
3. Zalmi were relying heavily on their Kamran Akmal who had been in red hot form in this PSL. But, Islamabad knew his weakness to left-arm spin and that is why they introduced Samit Patel who took the opener’s wicket in the 3rd over.
4. Hafeez came onto the crease and looked to build a partnership with Fletcher but Samit Patel was in no mood to spare anyone as he took a return catch off his own bowling to send Hafeez back to the pavilion.
5. Andre Fletcher seemed to be playing quite fluently and was expressing himself quite brilliantly. However, he was given out lbw after Shadab Khan’s successful appeal.
6. Now, Chris Jordan and Liam Dawson had to build a partnership to steady things up for their team. And they did so as they shared a 52-run partnership between them.
7. However, Hussain Talat claimed the wicket of Chris Jordan to provide his team with an opening. Saad Nasim, capable of playing small cameos now joined his team-mate Dawson on the crease.
8. But Nasim’s stay was cut short by Hussain Talat who claimed his wicket on the first ball of his over. Zalmi were now 101/5 and were in serious trouble of posting a low total on the board.
9. Darren Sammy came on to the crease but, Shadab’s brilliant spin bowling got rid of him as he got him out lbw on 6 runs by bowling the wrong’un and Sammy had no clue what to do with it.
10. Umaid Asif came on to the crease but Shadab Khan overturned the umpire decision to send him back for a first ball duck.
11. This is when Duminy made a change in bowling and brought Mohammad Sami into the attack. The fast bowler obliged to his captain’s wishes and shattered Dawson’s stumps to the ground.
12. Islamabad were bowling their heart out and they were rewarded with another wicket as the PSL 3’s leading wicket taker Fahim Ashraf got the wicket of Hasan Ali to send Zalmi 9 down for a total of 121 runs.
13. Wahab Riaz gave his team a fighting chance by playing a wonderful cameo of 30* off 15 balls.
14. Islamabad now needed 149 runs to win in 20 overs and lift the trophy of PSL 3.
15. So, the 2nd innings started and the Islamabad’s openers Luke Ronchi and Farhan got set on the crease and Hasan Ali was given the new ball by his captain.
16. Islamabad’s openers demolished Zalmi’s bowling line-up as Ronchi and Farhan shared a massive 96-run partnership after which Ronchi departed for a well-made 52 off 26 balls.
17. Islamabad now required 51 runs off 11 overs to win this match. Walton came on the crease to join his partner Farhan but his stumps were shattered by Umaid Asif and United had now lost 2 wickets in 2 overs but were pretty much on top of this match.
18. But Zalmi claimed the wicket of Duminy in the 11th over as Jordan took a return catch off his own bowling and Zalmi were now seeing a speck of hope in this match.
19. And they were right as Wahab Riaz got rid of Sahibzada farhan in the 12th over to bring his team back into the match. He was complimented by Hasan Ali who got two wickets in the 14th over to send Islamabad 6 wickets down.
20. But Peshawar Zalmi did the cardinal sin of dropping Asif Ali who later on punished Peshawar Zalmi by scoring 26* off 6 balls and Faheem Ashraf sealed it with a six to win it for Islamabad.
21. The match changing point was Asif Ali’s three sixes and he struck it to none other than Hasan Ali who is a world class bowler. Islamabad had been consistent in this PSL and deserved to win and did rightly so.
|Peshawar Zalmi||Islamabad United|
DJG Sammy (c)
L Ronchi †
JP Duminy (c)
For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk