5th Asian Champions Trophy 2018: Day 1 – India & Malaysia Start With Wins
Oman: India the defending champions started with victory against the hosts Oman, which was filled with a bouquet of 11 goals. Dilpreet Singh scored three goals and enabled India to launch the bouquet.
In the other match, Malaysia scored a 3-0 victory against Japan who are the Asian gold medallist.
In the first quarter, the hosts Oman were well composed, thereby, denying India any goals. In the 17th minute India opened the scoring as follows:
- 1st goal – Lalit Upadhyay started the goal tally with a field goal in the 17th minute,
- 2nd – Harmanpreet Singh who banged the board with a low drag-flick,
- 3rd – Nilakanta Sharma flicked the ball in during a tussle at the goalmouth,
- 4th – Mandeep Singh took advantage of a right flank pass.
In the second quarter, Indian team took open advantage of pressurized Oman by adding 8 more goals in the bouquet. The scorers were:
- 3 goals – Dilpreet scored in the 41st, 55th and 57th minutes.He was selected Man of the Match
- 4 (1 each) – Gurjant Singh, Akashdeep Singh, Varun Kumar and Chinglensana Singh
Malaysia Vs Japan
Malaysia who had recently lost the Asian Games final to Japan, avenged their defeat with a 3-0 victory in the first match of the Asian Champions Trophy.
The Malaysian were aggressive from the started which enabled them to earn two early penalty corner conversions.
The first goal was by Faisal Saari, who in the third minute made a drag flick into the net to open the score. Tengku Tajuddin increased the goal margin by scoring the second goal from a second penalty corner rebound of the Japanese goalkeeper.
In the second quarter, Japan made successful attempts but were not successful to convert them.
Faizal Saari scored the third goal in 51st minute for Malaysia from a skillful penalty stroke.
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk