Football League Cup: Manchester United Loses To Derby In Penalty Shootout
- After an epic penalty shootout with Derby County, Manchester United were knocked out of the Carabao Cup, after the 3rd-round tie finished 2-2 in normal time at Old Trafford.
- After the match levelled at 2-2 in normal time, it proceeded straight to penalties and Frank Lampard’s Derby triumphed with 8-7, as Phil Jones’ strike was spared by visiting goal keeper Scott Carson.
— Carol Radull (@CarolRadull) September 26, 2018
- And, according to the Red Devils manager, Jose Mourinho, his team were in trouble once the penalty shootout came down to his defenders.
- The previous England and Chelsea midfielder, Frank Lampard played a full-quality side and got the reward for his decision, as he bagged an epic win for his team.
OK I have not gone down this rabbit hole in a long time. I said many times here that Jose would never make a Manchester United manager. I took a lot of abuse. I wonder now do is my words sinking in . Today has to have been one of the worst days in United recent history.
— Tommy Smyth (@TommySmythESPN) September 26, 2018
- The match should not have come to penalty shootouts, had Marouane Fellaini not scored in a stoppage-time equalizer, as Derby County were comfortably in the lead by 2-1.
- Manchester United had led the match against Derby in the 3rd minute with a very much set shot from Juan Mata after Anthony Martial had blasted down the left flank.
Losing to a Championship side is bad enough, but to go out on a whimper and play absolutely shocking football is completely inexcusable. Manchester United are a shadow of its former self.
— Liam Canning (@LiamPaulCanning) September 25, 2018
- In any case, the guests came at level in a tremendous mold following 59 minutes with a splendid twisting free kick from Harry Wilson, the youthful Welsh winger on loan from Liverpool.
- 8 minutes after that, Derby thought they had got the winning goal, as Romero handled outside the box and was dismissed, only for United’s substitute goal keeper Lee Grant to parry a shot from Mason Mount and Jack Marriott to gesture in the free ball.
— Timo-Pekko Nieminen 🇳🇬🇨🇦 (@dejazimako007) September 25, 2018
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk