India Vs England 1st Test
||India Vs England
| Match Basics
|1st Test – Day 1: India Vs England
|Date: 1st August 2018
|Venue: Edgbaston, Birmingham
|Umpires: Aleem Dar, Chris Gaffaney
|Toss won by: England, elected to bat first
| Scorecard Summary
|England’s 1st Innings(continued): 285/9 (88 Overs, RR: 3.23)
|Batting: Kyle Jennings 42 off 98 balls, Joe Root 80 off 156 balls, Johnny Bairstow 70 off 88 balls, Sam Curran 24* off 67 balls.
|Bowling: Ashwin 4/60 in 25 overs, Mohammed Shami 2/64 in 19 overs, Ishant Sharma 1/46 in 17 overs, Umesh Yadav 1/56 in 17 overs.
|Highlights & Analysis
|India Vs England: England’s 1st Innings
- The conditions were overcast, and the pitch appeared to be dry with a little hint of greenish surface on the top.
- After winning the toss, Joe Root decided to bat while Virat Kohli was happy to bowl first too.
- The English openers, Keaton Jennings and Alastair Cook came out to bat. For India, the new ball was shared between Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma.
- After a shaky start, the pair solidified their position and added 22 runs in the first 6 overs.
- Virat Kohli introduced spin early into the attack, as the ball was handed to India’s lead spinner, Ravichandran Ashwin.
- This move by the Indian captain worked as the off spinner shattered the stumps of Alastair Cook in his first over.
- Joe Root joined Keaton Jennings. The pair added 57 more runs to the total as India were denied another quick wicket.
- Lunch was called on Day 1 of this test (India vs England), and at this point, England had scored 83 runs for the loss of 1 wicket.
- Play resumed after lunch. Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma were again introduced into the attack.
- The replenished pair of Root and Jennings extended their partnership to 73 runs, after which Mohammed Shami claimed the wicket of Jennings.
- Dawid Malan joined Joe Root. The pair added some runs to the total, as Joe Root reached in his 40s and also achieved a major milestone of 6000 runs in Test cricket.
- However, after another 14 runs, Dawid Malan was given lbw, courtesy of Mohammad Shami’s excellent bowling.
- The English wicket keeper Johnny Bairstow joined Joe Root. The English captain reached his half century and the pair also achieved the fifty run stand.
- Tea was called on Day 1 of this test. At this point, England had 163 runs on the board with 3 wickets in hand.
- Post tea, Mohammad Shami was introduced back into the attack. But, the pair batted on as 200 came up for England, and Bairstow also reached his half century.
- India needed a wicket at this point, and Ravichandran Ashwin was introduced back into the attack.
- And in this over, the English captain Root lost his wicket, due to his poor running between wickets.
- Ben Stokes joined Bairstow and two overs later, Bairstow also departed as Umesh Yadav claimed his first wicket of the match.
- The in-form Jos Buttler joined Ben Stokes. But, he departed in the very next over to Ashwin and suddenly, India came on top.
- Now, with 224 runs on the board and 4 wickets in hand, Sam Curran joined Ben Stokes.
- The pair could only add 19 runs to the total after which Ashwin took a sharp catch off his own bowling to dismiss Stokes.
- Adil Rashid joined Curran. A surprisingly strong partnership was witnessed between the two, however after addind 35 runs to the total, Ishant Sharma claimed the wicket of Adil Rashid.
- Broad joined Curran but in the very next over, he departed to Ashwin’s bowling as England slumped to 283/9.
- Three overs were left in the innings and India aimed for kill by taking the last wicket. However, the batsmen got lucky and England finished Day 1 on 285/9.
- Overall the first day of this test(India vs England), belonged to India who made an excellent comeback led by Ashwin.
India Vs England Test Series 2018: Players Who Could Make An Impact
This is the end of India Vs England 1st Test, Day 1. Join Allsportspk tomorrow for the 2nd day of India Vs England 1st test match.
KD Karthik (Wkt.)
V Kohli (Capt.)
JE Root (Capt.)
JM Bairstow (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk
error: Content is protected !!