|Pakistan Vs Afghanistan: Afghanistan’s 1st Innings
- After a humiliating loss to India, Pakistan hoped to find their form back with three changes in their squad, with Haris Sohail, Shaheen and Mohammad Nawaz in the playing XI.
- Meanwhile, Afghanistan who had won both their matches of Group B, won the toss, and chose to bat first.
- Usman Khan was given the new ball by Sarfraz, and the pacer delivered a no-ball in the very first over, which also resulted in Pakistan, losing it’s only review of the innings.
- Shaheen Shah Afridi bowled from the other end. The youngster bowled with pace and low economy, however two fielding lapses in two balls, denied him a wicket in the early overs.
- Now, spin was introduced into the attack by Sarfraz in the form of Mohammad Nawaz.
- And, after only one over, Nawaz struck as he claimed the wicket of Ihsanullah, in his 2nd over of the innings.
- Rahmat Shah joined Mohammad Shahzad. This partnership lasted only one over, as Nawaz struck again in his next over, to dismiss Shahzad.
- With both openers lost to spin, Shahidi joined Rahmat Shah. The partnership went on for 63 runs, until finally it was broken by none other than Mohammad Nawaz.
- Now, Afghanistan’s captain, Asghar Afghan joined Shahidi. The pair made sure that Pakistan bowlers continued to toil, as another 50 run stand was brought up by the two batsmen.
- Shahidi continued with his average strike rate, while Asghar Afghan kept the run rate in check by occassionally attacking a bowler.
- Soon, Afghanistan’s total passed 150 runs, and now ever Mohammad Nawaz was looking less threatning in front of Afghanistan.
- Bowling changes did not seem to work for Pakistan, as this partnership now extended to 94 runs, with both Shahidi and Asghar Afghan scoring wondrous fifties.
- This is when Shaheen’s slower ball did the trick, as Asghar Afghan’s stumps were shattered in the 42nd over.
- At this point, Afghanistan were 4 wickets down for 188 runs, with 8 overs in hand.
- Mohammad Nabi joined Shahidi. However, Shaheen appeared to be in blazing form as he made no mistake in getting his 2nd wicket in the form of Nabi.
- Najibullah Zadran joined Hashmatullah Zaidi. This brief stand was broken by Hasan Ali who finally got his first wicket of the match by hitting the stumps of Zaidi.
- Nevertheless, a strong finish was made by Afghanistan as they scored 46 runs from the last four overs, but unfortunately Shahidi could not get to his century.
Pakistan Vs Afghanistan: Pakistan’s 2nd Innings
- With 258 runs to win from 50 overs, Pakistan openers Fakhar Zaman and Imam-ul-Haq came out to bat.
- For Afghanistan, the new ball was given to Mujeeb Ur Rehman. And, this move proved too fruitful, as Fakhar Zaman got out on a duck, 2nd time in a row.
- This wicket already made Pakistan vs Afghanistan match to a thrilling one.
- Imam-ul-Haq joined Babar Azam. The pair defied the Afghanistan bowlers and notched up a fifty run partnership in 15 overs.
- Runs continued to come easily as Pakistan’s total reached 100 and after that, Imam reached his half century.
- 3 overs later, Babar Azam also reached his half century, as Pakistan looked set to win this match (Pakistan vs Afghanistan).
- Both players continued to rotate the strike, as Pakistan breached the 150-mark in 33 overs.
- But, in the very next over, a lapse in judgement cost Imam-ul-Haq his wicket, as Najibullah Zadran’s direct hit got him run-out.
- Haris Sohail joined Babar Azam. And, this is when Rashid Khan struck again as Babar Azam was stumped by the lightning quick hands of the Afghan keeper, Shahzad.
- With 99 runs required from 14 overs, Shoaib Malik joined Haris Sohail. The pair shared a partnership of 36 runs, after which Haris Sohail departed off Mujeeb’s bowling.
- The Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmad joined Shoaib Malik, however after managing only 8 runs, he got out to Gulbadin Naib.
- Now, with Pakistan needing 42 runs off 30 balls, Asif Ali joined Shoaib Malik. However, after hitting a six to Rashid Khan, he departed in the very next ball, as Pakistan slumped to six wickets.
- With 32 runs required to win this match, Mohammad Nawaz joined Shoaib Malik. The pair took the match to the last two overs, after which Nawaz departed off Rashid’s bowling.
- At this point, this match (Pakistan vs Afghanistan) appeared to a one-sided match.
- Now, with 16 runs required off 9 balls, Hasan Ali joined Shoaib Malik. Thanks to Hasan Ali’s six the match came to the last over, and it was Malik who struck a six and a four to win it for Pakistan.
This is the end of Pakistan Vs Afghanistan Super 4; Match 2. Join Allsportspk on Sunday, 23rd September for the next Super 4 match between Bangladesh Vs India.