FIFA World Cup 2018 International Friendlies
A total of 7 matches were played today of the ongoing FIFA World Cup 2018 friendly matches. The Match wise highlights of all 7 matches are appended below.
Match Wise Highlights
Match 1 of 7: France Vs Republic Of Ireland
Result: 2 – 0
- France: Olivier Giroud 40’, Nabil Fekir 43’
- This was the 3rd last warm up match of France as they have only two more matches to go after this one before they start their campaign in the FIFA World Cup 2018.
- Both sides were expecting to win so a properly warm-up before the mega event i.e. FIFA World Cup 2018.
- France outplayed Ireland on all fronts as it was Giroud and Fekir who led from the front and won the match for their team.
- Chelsea striker, Giroud was looking in prime form in the 1st half as he was looking to score the opening goal of the match.
- After several tries and an unsuccessful header, Olivier finally managed to net the ball at the 40th minute to score the opening goal.
- Ireland looked to counter-attack but their intentions by Nabil Fekir as the Frenchman scored another goal three minutes later to take the lead to 2 – 0.
- With this goal, the 1st half came to an end as France lead from the front.
- The 2nd half went underway and although Ireland showed great defense, however they didn’t manage to score either.
- This resulted in them losing the match as France won it comfortably in the end.
- No one was surprised as Ireland had been outdone in the possession, shots at the goal and almost every other department.
Match 2 of 7: USA Vs Bolivia
Result: 3 – 0
- USA: Zimmerman 37’, Sargent 52′, Weah 59′
- USA had failed to qualify for FIFA World Cup 2018, however this didn’t stop the young team to beat Bolivia by 3 – 0.
- Domination by the Americans was seen in every aspect other than ball possession as they didn’t allow Bolivia to shoot even one ball accurately at their goal.
- The lead was taken by USA in the 1st half as Walker Zimmerman struck at the 37th minute to score the opening goal.
- This goal also allowed USA to take the lead in the 1st half as no goals were scored after that in the first half.
- The 2nd half started and Bolivian strikers looked desperate to even the scoreboard by scoring a goal.
- But, the opposite of that happened as Sargent who is only 18 years of age, netted the ball at the 52nd minute to extend the lead by 2 goals.
- This goal was a blunder of the Bolivian keeper but Sargent cashed on it on his international debut to score his 1st ever goal.
- The story didn’t end here as after that Timothy Weah, the son of former AC Milan’s striker George, struck a goal at the 59th
- And USA were now leading by 3 – 0. This was also the final score of the match as no goals were scored by Bolivia and USA won the match.
Match 3 of 10: Mexico Vs Wales
Result: 0 – 0
- Mexico were expecting a win today and why wouldn’t they as they were playing in front of a Mexican crowd comprised of 82,345 people.
- But, a young Wales team did not allow the Mexicans to win this match despite losing their captain, Ashley Williams to injury in the 1st half of the match.
- Several chances were taken by Mexico in the 1st half but they were unsuccessful to get past Wale’s prolific goal-keeper.
- On the other hand, Wales were also unsuccessful to score in the initial half as it ended with the score being 0 – 0.
- Now, the 2nd half went underway and Mexico continued in their hunt to score a goal but, it was Wayne Hennesey (Wales Goal-keeper) who kept the Mexicans at bay.
- And, despite dominating in every department this became the story of the match as the final score was 0 – 0.
Match 4 of 7: Argentina Vs Nicaragua
Result: Match Cancelled
Match 5 of 7: Azerbaijan Vs Kyrgyzstan
Result: 3 – 0
- Azerbaijan: Maksim Medvedev 17′, Mahir Madatov 75′ , Urfan Abbasov 83′
- Azerbaijan came out on top as they beat Kyrgyzstan quite comfortably in the end.
- Pressure was put on by Maksim as he scored the opening goal at the 17th minute of the match.
- Kyrgyzstan tried to counter and level the scoreboard but were unable to do so as the 1st half ended with Azerbaijan in the lead.
- The 2nd half was no different although, Kyrgyzstan didn’t allow swift attacks from Azerbaijan’s strikers.
- However, Mahir Madatov managed to slide through as he netted the ball to make it 2 – 0 at the 75th
- And, then to confirm their victory, Urfan Abbasov struck another goal 8 minutes later as Azerbaijan won the match by 3 – 0.
Match 6 of 7: Armenia Vs Malta
Result: 1 – 1
- Armenia: Ivan Yagan 13′
- Malta: Andrei Aguis 45’+1′ (P)
- An early goal is always hurtful to your opponents and it also increases the chances of you winning the match.
- This is exactly what Ivan Yagan of Armenia did when he struck a goal for his team at the 13th minute to put them in the lead.
- However, Malta were not going to sit by the sidelines as Andrei Aguis was quick on his feet to level the scoreboard after scoring from a penalty just before the 1st half ended.
- In the 2nd half no team scored any goals as it came to end and thus the match was drawn.
Match 7 of 7: Albania Vs Kosovo
Result: 0 – 3
- Kosovo: Arber Zeneli 20′, 51′, Edon Zhegorova 67′
- The last match of the day saw Albania and Kosovo lock horns with each other and it was the latter who came out victorious in the end.
- Albania gave the lead to his team in the 1st half as he managed to net the ball at the 20th minute and the score was now 1 – 0.
- The score remained the same as the 1st half came to an end. In the 2nd half this lead was extended by the same man i.e. Arber who score his 2nd goal of the match to make it 2 – 0.
- Kosova were relentless in their approach as only 15 minutes later after the 2nd goal, it was Edon Zhegorova who scored at the 67th minute and made the score 3 – 0.
- Albania didn’t manage to score a single goal in the 2nd half and the match came to an end with the final scores being 3 – 0.
That is it for today. Do visit us tomorrow for more FIFA World Cup 2018, International Friendly Matches Highlights.
For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk