Football – UEFA Nations League: Late Goal From Van Dijk Denies Germany
- Netherlands are into the UEFA Nations League finals after a late Virgil van Dijk goal earned them a 2-2 draw with Germany on Monday night.
- Netherlands came into the match requiring only a point to top the gathering in the wake of beating France 2-0 on Friday, yet they were an goal down within 10 minutes after Timo Werner’s perfect divert and volley from 20 yards out beat Jasper Cillessen.
What. A. Comeback. Netherlands take the top spot in Group 1 from France and are headed to the UEFA Nations League Semifinals! 🙌 pic.twitter.com/UKfO5Ygy4n
— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) November 19, 2018
- After ten minutes the Germans would go two up when Leroy Sane’s shot from a Toni Kroos disregard the highest point of the Dutch barrier took a diversion and found the back of the net off the fingers of an outstretched Cillessen to make it 2-0.
- Pursuing the match, Netherlands poured forward without any result as the Germans sat in and hit on the counter for the opening 20 minutes of the second half.
Did the comeback from the Netherlands was the result of putting off Werner, Gnabry and Sane? They keep Germany in the front foot with their pace and energy. Somehow, after they were substituted I didn’t see that energy upfront to support the tired defensive legs. #FCExtraTime https://t.co/BNGnNcPpO9
— Avishek Banerjee (@The_Banerjee) November 19, 2018
- Thomas Muller entered the 66th moment, denoting his 100th appearance for the German national group, and almost set up Sane for his second, yet the ball over the six-yard box was simply behind the Manchester City winger.
- Memphis Depay went close just before 80 minutes after an amazing go through the German guard just for his shot from a tight edge to be kicked withdrawn by Manuel Neuer.
Imagine being in the same group with this Germany & Netherlands and still don’t qualify. Yep, that’s Didier Deschamps’ France for you.#UEFANationsLeague
— Depressed Madridista (@RaulMadrid__7) November 19, 2018
- The Dutch at last found a first on 85 minutes when Quincy Promes nestled into radiant strike from simply inside the edge of the penalty territory after some multifaceted going by Netherlands liberated him up for the shot.
- Van Dijk at that point sprung up in second-half stoppage time to volley home from short proximity for Netherlands’ equalizer and the point they expected to achieve the Nations League final.
— Fari Siregar (@Fari_Siregar) November 19, 2018
- Ronald Koeman’s group join Portugal, England and Switzerland, who stunned Belgium on Sunday, in the last four next summer.
For more updates about UEFA Nations League keep visiting allsportspk