French Open 2018 Men’s Final: World No.1 Rafael Nadal Wins
Match: Rafael Nadal vs Dominic Thiem
Result: Rafael Nadal defeated Dominic Thiem by 6-4, 6-3, 6-2.
- The first set started after a short warm-up and the king of clay, Nadal, took the lead in a very short time.
- However, Dominic Thiem made a comeback and the score was equalized 4-4. After some time, Nadal played some solid backhand and forehand shots and kept his opponent under pressure, eventually winning the first set by 6-4.
BREAKING: Rafael Nadal has won the #FrenchOpen for the 11th time! The world No. 1 defeated Dominic Thiem, 6-4, 6-3, 6-2, and remains undefeated when playing in #RolandGarros finals. #RG18 pic.twitter.com/EtltEpRLH5
— TENNIS.com (@Tennis) 10 June 2018
- Dominic was depressed by the loss but his hope wasn’t lost yet and looked optimistic before the start of the second set.
- Soon the next set started and Rafael Nadal as usual took the lead by 3-0. Dominic came back in action and recovered some points but it was too late as Nadal again won the set by 6-3.
- Now it was all down to the third set for both the players. Dominic really needed to win that set because it would cost him the French Open title.
- At the start of third set, Dominic Thiem took the lead. Rafael not only recovered the points in a very short time but also took the lead.
“It’s a dream to be here with this trophy again.”
It’s obvious how special this tournament is to Nadal.
— BBC Tennis (@bbctennis) 10 June 2018
- Thiem struggled very hard throughout the set as Nadal was constantly winning the points and eventually won the third game and sealed the victory with overall score of 3-0.
- It was Nadal’s 11th French Open title and his 17th Grand Slam title in his career.
For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk