Halle Open 2018: Day 4 – Highlights of Selected Matches
Single’s: Benoit Paire vs Steve Johnson
Result: Benoit Paire defeated Steve Johnson by 7-5, 7-6(5).
- The American, Steve Johnson took a great start in the first set and was leading Benoit by 5-3.
- However, Benoit Paire sealed the victory by 7-5 as Steve Johnson lost the next points on his serve.
— We Are Tennis France (@WeAreTennisFR) 19 June 2018
- In the second set, Steve Johnson took the lead again but Benoit Paire recovered with the match becoming a tie-breaker with score equalized at 6-6.
- Benoit Paire won the set and will now face Roger Federer in the round of 16.
Single’s: Stefanos Tsitsipas vs Lucas Pouille
Result: Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated Lucas Pouille by 6-2, 7-6(3).
- Stefanos Tsitsipas took a brilliant start in the first set and was leading 3-1 after about 20 minutes.
- Even though, Lucas fought back but it was too late as Stefanos won the set by 6-2.
5th Top 20 win of 2018 for @StefTsitsipas, and first ever on grass! ?
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) 19 June 2018
- In second test, Lucas Pouille took the lead but Stefanos recovered the points and the set eventually came to a tie-breaker.
- Stefanos Tsitsipas won the set as Lucas lost three points on his serve.
- Stefanos Tsitsipas will now face Denis Kudla in the round of 16.
Single’s: Florian Mayer vs Richard Gasquet
Result: Florian Mayer defeated Richard Gasquet by 6-2, 6-2.
- Richard Gasquet started well as he was leading by 2 points but Florian soon recovered and won the set by 6-2.
— We Are Tennis (@WeAreTennis) 19 June 2018
- Although, Gasquet again took the lead in the next set but was not able to extend it as Florian Mayer soon came back and sealed his win in this set again by 6-2.
Two days after winning the title in s-Hertogenbosch, last year’s SFlist Richard Gasquet loses in the first round in Halle: 6-2, 6-2 to former champion Florian Mayer after only 64 minutes of play.
— Gaspar Ribeiro Lança (@gasparlanca) 19 June 2018
Single’s: Karen Khachanov vs Mischa Zverev
Result: Karen Khachanov defeated Mischa Zverev by 7-6(5), 6-3.
- A competitive performance was witnessed between Karen Khachanov and Mischa Zverev in both the sets.
- Mischa opened the scoring in the first set but Karen soon recovered the points and the set eventually came to a tie-breaker.
So far this year, Mischa Zverev has faced breakpoints in 79 service games. He ended up winning that game 27 times.
— TennisFacts (@TennisFactStats) 19 June 2018
- Mischa Zverev lost some points on the serve and ultimately lost the set by 7-6(5).
- In the second set, Karen made Mischa Zverev suffer as he scored many points on aces and eventually won the set by 6-3.
— TodoDeportes (@DeportesOlimpi) 19 June 2018
- Karen Khachanov will now face Kei Nishikori of Japan in his next match of Halle Open 2018.
Single’s: Roger Federer vs Aljaz Bedene
Result: Roger Federer defeated Aljaz Bedene by 6-3, 6-4.
- Although, Roger Federer faced a tough opponent today but he still managed to make it to the round of 16 of Halle Open 2018.
- Roger took the lead in the first set and was extending it at a very fast pace.
- Aljaz however, was able to recover some points but it was too late as the Swiss star won the set by 6-3.
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) 19 June 2018
- It was all down to the next set for both the players. The second set started and Aljaz took the lead this time.
- Nevertheless, both the players were gaining points and soon the score was levelled 4-4.
- At last, it was Roger Federer who sealed the win by 6-4 as Aljaz Bedene lost his last two points on the serve.
Roger Federer extended his unbeaten run on grass to 17 matches by beating Slovenia’s Aljaz Bedene in the Halle Open first round.
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) 19 June 2018
- Roger Federer will now face Benoit Paire in the next round of Halle Open 2018.
Single’s: Andreas Seppi vs Matteo Berrettini
Result: Andreas Seppi defeated Matteo Berrettini by 6-3, 7-5.
- An absolute performance by the Italian, Andreas Seppi as he cruised past Matteo Berrettini after a tough match.
- Andreas opened the scoring in the first set, however, Matteo recovered the lead and the score was equalized 3-3.
- But eventually, Andreas Seppi won the set by 6-3 after some good backhand shots.
— Modern Tennis (@SoofSu17) 19 June 2018
- Even though, Matteo managed to build a great lead in the second set but Andreas Seppi recovered it after some time.
- The score was levelled at 5-5 but Matteo Berrettini again lost the set by 7-5 as he was unable to score on serve.
- Andreas Seppi will now face Florian Mayer in the next round of Halle Open 2018.
Single’s: Borna Cilic vs Alexander Zverev
Result: Borna Cilic defeated Alexander Zverev by 6-1, 6-4.
- A brilliant performance from the Croatian player as he defeated the world No.3 ranked player in the round of 32.
- Borna opened the scoring in the first set and did not let Zverev to score any point for quite a while.
- However, Alexander Zverev was only able to make a point in the first set as Borna Cilic won it by 6-1.
— Tennis World English (@TennisWorlden) 19 June 2018
- Borna again took the lead in the second set and extended it to 5-1.
- Alexander Zverev soon came back in action and recovered the points after some time.
- But still Borna Cilic won the second set by 6-4 as Alexander wasn’t able to score more points.
Double’s: Marcel Granollers and Robin Haase vs Kei Nishikori and Ben McLachlan
Result: Marcel Granollers and Robin Haase defeated Kei Nishikori and Ben McLachlan by 6-3, 7-6(3).
- The Japanese, Kei Nishikori and Ben McLachlan faced a shocking defeat in the round of 16 by Marcel and Robin Haase.
- Marcel and Haase took the lead in the first set and kept on extending it.
- However, Kei Nishikori and McLachlan struggled hard to recover the points but finally they lost the set by 6-3.
— Tennis Feel (@tennisfeel) 19 June 2018
- Although, Kei and McLachlan showed an excellent performance in the second set as it came to a tie-breaker after the score was levelled 6-6.
- But unfortunately, they again lost the set on the tie-break as they lost two points on the serve.
If measured strictly in terms of “great chances to win majors denied” — which is different from “raw number of instances of injury” or “total months/matches missed” — I think it’s clear by now that Milos Raonic has surpassed Kei Nishikori.
Explanation in next tweet…
— Matt Zemek (@mzemek) 19 June 2018
Double’s: Franko Skugor and Dominic Inglot vs Steve Johnson and Dominic Thiem
Result: Franko Skugor and Dominic Inglot defeated Steve Johnson and Dominic Thiem by 7-6, 6-7, 10-6.
- Franko and Dominic Inglot took the lead in the first set and kept on extending it.
- But soon Steve Johnson and Dominic Thiem came back in action and recovered the points.
— De Nela (@De_Nela) 19 June 2018
- The set eventually came to a tie-breaker and Franko Skugor and Inglot won it as Dominic Thiem and Johnson lost three points on the serve.
- However, in the next set Dominic Thiem and Steve took a great start but this set too came to a tie-break.
- Although, Franko and Inglot played well but this time Thiem and Johnson won the set.
- Now it was all down to the third set. Unfortunately, Dominic Thiem and Steve Johnson both lost 4 points on the serve which cost them the set.
Do join allsportspk to see the highlights of the 5th day of Halle Open 2018.