Australia is set to host all games of Southern Hemisphere tournament of RC-Rugby Championship 2020. The event will commence from 7th November and culminate on 12th December.
Features of Southern Hemisphere Tournament of the Rugby Championship:
1. In the past, matches of the tournament had been held in all four participating countries – Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and South Africa every year.
2. But due to corona virus pandemic all games of the tournament will be held only in Australia during 2020 season.
3. Each team will have a larger squad of 46 players plus 12 staff members.
4. Additionally, each team will undergo mandatory quarantine for 14 days in Australia before the tournament.
5. Players will avail bio-secure training facilities during quarantine and afterwards.
Earlier on Australia, New Zealand and Argentina confirmed participation in the Southern tournament of RC 2020. However, the title holders South Africa have yet to confirm their participation mainly due to C ’19 still having an upward trend in South Africa.
During 2019 South Africa has the distinction being the Title Holder of both the main titles – Rugby Championship 2019 and Rugby World Cup 2019.
According to the format of the event, all the teams will play against each other twice.
The four rugby unions – Australia Rugby, New Zealand Rugby, Argentina Rugby and South Africa Rugby will bear cost of the tournament and will also share the profits accordingly.