Tennis – US Open ’18: Angelique Kerber Cruises Forward
Fourth seed and previous champ Angelique Kerber overcame a 2nd set wobble against Sweden’s Johanna Larsson to make it to the US Open Round of 32.
The German, who had never lost a set in three past matches with Larsson, won the match by 6-2 5-7 6-4. She was on the ropes amid her intense second-round fight against Johanna Larsson, requiring a tiring two hours and 20 minutes to proceed onward at the US Open.
.@AngeliqueKerber was stretched to the limit in her 6-2, 5-7, 6-4 victory over Larsson…
— US Open Tennis (@usopen) August 30, 2018
- Up a set and a break and serving for the match at 6-2, 5-2, Kerber saw two match points come and go as Larsson raised her level to set out on an enlivened rebound exertion. The No.4 seed weathered the late flood to triumph 6-2, 5-7, 6-4.
- Kerber began the principal set in full summon, sectioning the set with a break to start and another to complete, yet in spite of the scoreline Larsson gave the German a lot of inconvenience en route.
Unbelievable last 20 minutes from Angelique Kerber, who quickly loses 5 consecutive games from 6-2, *5-2 up to lose the 2nd set… #USOpen
— José Morgado (@josemorgado) August 30, 2018
- In the wake of going down a break at 3-1, Larsson pursued down a hurl, a raving success and everything Kerber sent her approach to spare break point and edge through a 25-shot rally to hold at 3-2.
- But, Kerber got back in summon and reeled off the last three amusements to take the opening set. She kept on cruising toward the beginning of the second, proceeding with her force to open up an overwhelming double break lead at 4-1.
You will always have ups and downs in your life and your career, but just stay positive and go for it. – Angelique Kerber @ Uncle Julio’s https://t.co/SMiJ7oCtYv
— Derek Jamieson (@Djams615) August 31, 2018
- Be that as it may, that is when things began getting confounded; Kerber lost her serve without precedent for the match, and afterward was broken when serving for the match at 5-2. She had match points in the following amusement at 5-3.
- However Larsson’s excellent defending kept her in the match as Kerber’s unforced mistake tally developed.
- Larsson reeled off four games in succession to finish the second-set turnaround, breaking Kerber four times to send the match into a decisive set.
- The two players were dialed in at the third set, with Kerber going up a break twice and Larsson battling her route straight back the two times.
- The German at long last got through at 5-4, and finished off the early spine chiller following a tiresome two-hour and 20 minute fight.
Angelique Kerber survives. The No.4 seed defeats Johanna Larsson 62 57 64 to move into 3R to play Dominika Cibulkova. AK looked absolutely gassed in the final set but battles through. #USOpen
— WTA Insider (@WTA_insider) August 30, 2018
In the third round, Kerber will confront another huge test as she goes up against No.29 seed Dominika Cibulkova in her next match. Cibulkova edged past an extreme three-setter of her own against Hsieh Su-Wei, 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-4.
Their experience will be a rematch of the 2016 BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore displayed by SC Global last, where Cibulkova brought down Kerber 6-3, 6-4 to lift the title.
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk