The Champions League, previously recognized as the European Cup, is an annual club football competition organised by the UEFA – Union of European Football Associations.
It is one of the most prestigious football tournaments in the world and the most famous club competition in European football. Allsportspk presents all time stats of the prestigious Competition.
The research has been divided into two parts – Team and Individual Stats. Part 1 covers Team Stats and Part 2 the stats of individual players.
Part One – Team Statistics
Most Succesful Clubs
- A total of 22 clubs have won the tournament since its inception in 1955.
- A total of 18 clubs have reached the final without ever winning the tournament.
- Spanish clubs have been the most successful, winning a total of 18 titles.
- Real Madrid has most Champions League final appearances – 17.
- Juventus have lost more Champion’s League finals than any other team -7.
- Nottingham Forest have not qualified for Champions League for 38 years.
- Most consecutive seasons in the European Cup: 15, Real Madrid (1955–56 to 1969–70).
- Real Madrid owns the record of most semi final and final appearances .
- Barcelona has the most quarter final appearance.
- Ajax, FC Bayern Munich and Real Madrid are only club to win 3 Champions League titles consecutively.
Biggest Two Legged Victories
- Benfica hold the overall record for highest aggregate win. They beat Stade Dudelange 18–0 on aggregate in 1965–66 season.
- Bayern Munich hold the biggest margin of overall home and away result in the Champions League era in play-off. They beat Sporting CP 12–1 (5–0, 7–1) in the round of 16 in 2008–09.
- Real Madrid hold the record for the biggest win in a quarter-final, beating Sevilla 10–2 (8–0, 2–2) in 1957–58. During the Champions League era, Bayern Munich hold the record by beating Kaiserslautern 6–0 (2–0, 4–0) in 1998–99.
- Eintracht Frankfurt hold the record for the biggest win in a semi-final, beating Rangers 12–4 (6–1, 6–3) in 1959–60. During the Champions League era, Bayern Munich hold the record by beating Barcelona 7–0 (4–0, 3–0) in 2012–13.
Most Goals Scored In A Match
- Feyenoord beat KR Reykjavík 12–2 in the first round in 1969–70. This is the overall record for all European Cup/Champions League matches.
- Borussia Dortmund beat Legia Warsaw 8–4 in the group stage in 2016–17. This is the record for the Champions League era.
- Real Madrid beat Eintracht Frankfurt 7–3 in the 1960 final. This is the overall record for all European Cup/Champions League finals.
High Scoring Draws
- The highest scoring draw is eight goals (four goals each):
- Hamburger SV 4–4 Juventus in 2000–01
- Chelsea 4–4 Liverpool in 2008–09
- Bayer Leverkusen 4–4 Roma in 2015–16
- Chelsea 4–4 Ajax in 2019–20
For more updates visit: Allsportspk