5th Asian Champions Trophy 2018: Commences 18th October
LAHORE: Fifth edition of Asian Champions Trophy Hockey Tournament starts at Muscat, Oman from 18th October.
During the 2016 edition held in Malaysia, India won by defeating Pakistan by a slight margin of 3-2. Video inserted at the end of the article.
Six teams participating in the 2018 edition at the Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex are: Pakistan, India, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea and the hosts Oman.
Basic Champions Trophy Facts
- Inaugural edition of the tournament was in 2011.
- Pakistan is the most successful team as it has appeared in all Finals.
- India is the defending Champions.
- Won the final in 2016 beating Pakistan by 2 – 1.
- Last event was in Kuantan, Malaysia.
- Pakistan finished Runners in last 32016 event.
- Pakistan has been the Champions times in 2012 – 13.
- Malaysia, during last 4 tournaments, has held the 3rd position.
- In the round robin phase, all the teams will play against each other. The top four teams from the round robin stage will then figure in the semifinals with the final scheduled on October 28.
Schedule of Pakistan’s matches:
- vs South Korea (Oct 19)
- vs India (Oct 20)
- vs Oman (Oct 22)
- vs Japan (Oct 24)
- vs Malaysia (Oct 25)
The Pakistan squad includes the following players:
- Abubakr Mahmood
- Aleem Bilal
- Ali Shan
- Ajaz Ahmed
- Ammad Shakeel Butt – V. Captain
- Faisal Qadir
- Imran Butt (Goal keeper)
- Mazhar Abbas – Goal keeper
- M.Rizwan Sr – Captain
- M.Irfan Sr.
- Mubashar Ali
- Mohammad Zubair
- M. Irfan Jr.
- M. Tauseeq Arshad
- M. Rizwan Jr.
- M. Atiq Arshad
- Tasawwar Abbas
- Umar Bhutta
For more updates about Asian Champions Trophy 2018 keep visiting allsportspk