The WBSC – World Baseball Softball Confederation sanctioned tournament – 5th World Baseball Classic 2021, will be played from 9-23 March.
To be held in five venues of two continents, the tournament is being hosted in Japan, Taiwan and USA. The semi-finals and finals will be played at Marlins Park in Miami, USA.
The World Baseball Classic will start with the four groups of five teams for round-robin play. The top two finishers of each group will advance to the quarterfinals.
The World Baseball Classic 2021 will expand the number of participants to 20 National Teams. Australia, Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Israel, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Korea, Mexico, Puerto Rico, United States and Venezuela, that participated in the 2017 edition, have been invited to return.
The last four National Teams will come out of the Qualifier, set to begin at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona, USA, on Thursday 12 March.
The Group wise schedule is as follows:
- Group play will begin with A and B in Chinese Taipei and Japan, scheduled from 9 to 13 March.
- Group C in Phoenix is scheduled from 13 to 17 March,
- Group D in Miami will see action from 14 to 18 March.
The Quarter finals will be as:
- The Tokyo Dome will host two quarterfinals on 16 and 17 March.
- The other two quarterfinals are scheduled in Miami on 19 and 20 March.
The semifinals and finals are:
- Scheduled from 21 to 23 March at the Marlins Park.