Asian Games ’18 – Squash: HK China In Both Finals; Legend Nicol Beaten
INDONESIA: For the first time Hong Kong China will play in both the Asian Games Team Championships squash finals, following having won both men and women semi-finals at the Gelora Bung Karno Sports Complex in Jakarta, Indonesia.
This a major achievement for the Hong Kong China team as previously they have only contested in 2010, the women’s final.
In the men’s semi-final, India were beaten by the favourites Hong King China. First Max Lee saw off the Indian number one player Saurav Ghosal. This was followed up by the new Asian Games individual gold medalist Leo Au who defeated Indian Harinder Pal Sandhu.
The 3rd seeds Malaysia, for the third consecutive time reached the final by beating fourth seeds Pakistan.
The biggest upset took place in the first women’s semi-final, when India beat the defending champions Malaysia. Which also ended the eight year reign of Nicol David and her team as the Asian Games champions.
India will now play the second time with Hong Kong China during the last 48 hours.
HONG KONG CHINA bt INDIA 2 – 0
- Max Lee bt Saurav Ghosal 11-7, 11-9, 13-11 (41m)
- Leo Au bt Harinder Pal Sandhu 11-9, 9-11, 11-9, 11-3 (45m)
MALAYSIA bt PAKISTAN 2 – 0
- Nafiizwan Adnan bt Tayyab Aslam 11-8, 11-6, 11-6 (35m)
- Eain Yow Ng bt Israr Ahmed 7-11, 11-8, 16-14, 11-6 (41m)
INDIA bt MALAYSIA 2 – 0
- Joshna Chinappa bt Nicol David 12-10, 11-9, 6-11, 10-12, 11-9 (66m)
- Dipika Pallikal Karthik bt Low Wee Wern 11-2, 11-9, 11-7 (25m)
HONG KONG CHINA bt JAPAN 2 – 0
- Annie Au bt Satomi Watanabe 11-6, 11-5, 12-14, 11-9 (54m)
- Joey Chan bt Misaki Kobayashi 11-6, 7-11, 11-8, 11-1 (32m)
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk