Champions League ’18-19 – Highlights: Juventus Finish At The Top Of The Group
These are the last eight matches of Champions League, Group stage Match Day 6 of 6. The highlights are appended below:
For Complete Champions League 2018-19 team rankings, click here
For Complete Champions League 2018-19 schedule, click here
Champions League – Match 9 of 16: Plzen vs Roma
Result: 2 – 1
- Plzen: Jan Kovark 62′, Tomas Chory 72′
- Roma: Cengiz Under 62′
|4||Shots On Target||4|
- Roma realized they were second in the Champions League group stage, yet the 2-1 thrashing to Viktoria Plzen is as yet another flaw on their ongoing structure.
Young Boys leading, Valencia leading, Real Madrid beaten and Roma beaten.
Teams seem to lose interest in the last games of the group stages #UCL
— szechuan (@maxmius) December 12, 2018
- Dzeko scored a hattrick when Roma won 5-0 at the Stadio Olimpico, yet while Javier Pastore terminated over early entryways, Plzen squandered the principal once in a lifetime opportunity with Jan Kovarik swelling over from 12 yards after Cengiz Under neglected to reduce.
Real Madrid lose to
CKSA Moscow &
Roma lose to Viktoria Plzen.
So in all probability
Valencia will lose against
— Rudra Chakraborty (@rudra080993) December 12, 2018
- Cermak’s first time shot from 10 yards skimming the crossbar to arrive on the top of the net, clearly showed that the hosts were consequently progressively forceful after the break.
- Minutes after the fact, Schick went down under an obvious excursion, yet the official waved away penalty advances.
- In any case, Plzen got through on 62 minutes when Jan Kopic was given a lot of existence down the privilege to move over the essence of goal, Davide Santon neglecting to block, so Kovarik could tap in at the back post.
What a way to start the Wednesday, both Real Madrid and Roma lose on the night but qualify for the knockout stages in 1st and 2nd respectively. More football to come to conclude the Champions League group stages
— Edge Of the Sofa Reports (@EdgeOfTheHome) December 12, 2018
- In any case, after six minutes Santon compensated for the blunder. He escaped down the privilege and pulled back to the edge of the territory, where Cengiz Under set a snooker shot in off within the far post to balance.
- Viktoria Plzen reestablished their favorable position straight away, however. Santon was again precarious, as Kovarik held him off to control a Milan Petrzela coasted pass, his shot was parried by Antonio Mirante, however Tomas Chory got the bounce back with a header.
- It was about 3 after 1 minutes, as substitute Petrzela left Ivan Marcano for dead just to skim the close post from seven yards.
Roma start most of their key players in a dead rubber v Plzen, in order to prevent a loss which would kill morale even further… then that first-team bunch manage to lose the meaningless game anyway. Embarrassing. pic.twitter.com/ocvuXF2Axy
— Alex McGovern (@AlexMcGovern11) December 12, 2018
- Luca Pellegrini’s cross-shot tried the goalkeeper and Bryan Cristante bored simply wide, yet Roma finished the gathering with another misfortune.
- To exacerbate the situation, Luca Pellegrini got two yellow cards in three minutes for dreadful difficulties, the initial a late and high handle, the second bouncing with elbow raised.
- CSKA Moscow staggeringly won 3-0 at the Bernabeu, which means Viktoria Plzen proceed with this triumph to the Europa League.
Real Madrid lose 3-0 at home to CSKA – Top group
Roma lose three games – Qualify anyway
CSKA beat holders home and away – Don’t even get to the Europa League
— Balls.ie (@ballsdotie) December 12, 2018
Champions League – Match 10 of 16: Real Madrid vs CSKA Moscow
Result: 0 – 3
- CSKA Moscow: Fyodor Chalov 37′, Georgi Shchennikov 43′, Arnor Sigurdsson 73′
|Real Madrid||Team Stats||CSKA Moscow|
|6||Shots On Target||5|
- An unpracticed Real Madrid side were vanquished 3-0 by CSKA Moscow in their last Champions League group stage match on Wednesday at the Bernabeu.
- Madrid, who had officially secured the best spot in Group G, were given their most noticeably awful ever home thrashing in Europe on a night in which chief Santiago Solari began any semblance of Vinicius Junior, Javi Sanchez, Jesus Vallejo, Alvaro Odriozola, Marcos Llorente and Federico Valverde to confront the Russians.
October: CSKA 1-0 Real Madrid
December: Real Madrid 0-3 CSKA
They finished bottom of Group G ? pic.twitter.com/ChWdbM2MPB
— B/R Football (@brfootball) December 12, 2018
- The guests took an astonishing 2-0 lead into half-time after Fedor Chalov and Georgi Schennikov exploited some flimsy Los Blancos defending.
- Chalov opened the scoring on 37 minutes when he twisted his relentless left-footed shot around Thibaut Courtois in the wake of being permitted to take a couple of contacts to settle himself at the highest point of the Real box.
Real Madrid 0-3 CSKA Moscow
Viktoria Plzen 2-1 AS Roma
It’s a night of upsets, which means Man Utd now have a chance to beat Valencia tonight.
— Troll Football (@TrollFootball) December 12, 2018
- Schennikov multiplied their leeway six minutes after the fact with a clean finish after a urgent Courtois avoided the ball into his way at the far post.
- CSKA then put the match distant in the 73rd moment through Arnor Sigurdsson who stroked home from the edge of the region after a liberal back line permitted the Russians reality to shoot.
- The misfortune keeps Real on 12 points, three in front of second-put Roma who were beaten by Plzen in their last group match.
— B/R Football (@brfootball) December 12, 2018
Champions League – Match 11 of 16: Young Boys vs Juventus
Result: 2 – 1
- Young Boys: Guillaume Hoarau 30′ (P), 68′
- Juventus: Pauolo Dybala 80′
|Young Boys||Team Stats||Juventus|
|3||Shots On Target||7|
- Juventus hit the woodwork twice and a Paulo Dybala equalizer denied, yet the 2-1 thrashing to Young Boys ended as being easy on the soul, as Manchester United additionally lost.
- It is an astounding outcome that closes their 100 percent away record this season, winning every one of the nine between Serie A and the Champions League, scoring 19 goals and yielding four. Then, Young Boys could praise their first since forever Champions League group match triumph.
— James Pearce (@JamesPearceEcho) December 12, 2018
- The Bianconeri were at that point qualified and Young Boys stuck in last place, however just a triumph would guarantee they were not surpassed by Manchester United to top the gathering in this last amusement.
- Sami Khedira and Andrea Barzagli passed up a great opportunity, with Alex Sandro fit for the seat, Giorgio Chiellini, Joao Cancelo and Paulo Dybala rested. Midfielder Sekou Sanogo was suspended, with Jordan Lotomba and Miralem Sulejmani harmed. Steve von Bergen, who was partners with a youthful Paulo Dybala at Palermo, was not 100 percent fit, but rather Djibril Sow was passed prepared to begin.
? Young Boys 2-1 Juventus
Now to patiently await this headline to take over our timelines and the newspapers in Switzerland tomorrow…
“Young Boys beat The Old Lady”
— COPA90 (@COPA90) December 12, 2018
- Cristiano Ronaldo had an immense shot following 13 minutes, running on to a Douglas Costa through ball just to have it fingertipped off his feet by Marco Wolfli, at that point attempted from a tight edge and it was cleaned for all intents and purposes up the line by Mohamed Ali Camara.
- Ronaldo’s calculated drive flashed over the face of goal, creeps past the far post, yet Juan Cuadrado went off injured for Alex Sandro, moving Mattia De Sciglio to right back.
- Ronaldo gestured over from short proximity on a rigid Federico Bernardeschi cross, at that point Mandzukic set up Douglas Costa to turn wide with within the boot.
Confirmed as Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, Porto or Bayern Munich for #LFC. in last 16. Good games and good trips everywhere you look!
— Andy Kelly (@AndyK_LivNews) December 12, 2018
- Be that as it may, Alex Sandro was as yet cool in the wake of falling off the seat and neglected to control a poor Douglas Costa back-pass, so when Nicolas Moumi Ngamaleu jumped inside the territory, he was wrestled to the ground. Guillaume Hoarau changed over the punishment, even through Wojciech Szczesny got his fingertips to it.
- Federico Bernardeschi’s free kick went into the divider and Ronaldo bored the subsequent wide.
- The main uplifting news at half-time was that Manchester United were additionally 1-0 down away to Valencia.
- Straight after the restart, a free kick discovered Alex Sandro at the close post for a redirected flick that crushed against the crossbar.
— footballitalia (@footballitalia) December 12, 2018
- Ronaldo’s first touch let him down on a Douglas Costa through ball, however Rugani must be aware of removed Ngamaleu’s move crosswise over for Hoarau.
- Christian Fassnacht was permitted a free header, yet excessively near Szczesny, as Juve poured forward and unavoidably left holes at the back. Mandzukic could not get enough capacity to the header, however Young Boys multiplied their lead on the counter.
- A through ball split the resistance, Leonardo Bonucci’s situating left something to be want and Hoarau sliced inside to bore into the close base corner.
- Hoarau endeavored an overhead kick and it was not far wide from anchoring the cap trap, while Douglas Costa shot simply past the far post.
Juventus, Madrid, Inter and United were definitely approached by betting companies. Monies being wired to their club accounts as we speak.
— J. (@Frickyc13) December 12, 2018
- Dybala had scored a cap trap in Turin and fell off the seat to locate the net in Switzerland as well, Ronaldo laying it off to the edge of the box for his supreme screamer.
- Ronaldo had penalty bids waved away for a prod in the back as he went to head the ball, at that point Dybala constrained a low spare from Wolfli.
- Juve thought they had balanced on 87 minutes, however Ronaldo’s header at the back post was on to the upstanding from point-clear range.
- Another header from Leonardo Bonucci was excessively near the goalkeeper and profound into stoppages Dybala had another total shocker in the back of the net from separation, yet it was denied as Ronaldo was offside before the goalkeeper.
Dybala celebrates rifling one into the top corner. Chalked off though thanks to Ronaldo in an offside position trying to get his head on it.
— AS English (@English_AS) December 12, 2018
- It at last demonstrated effortless, as Manchester United lost 2-1 in Valencia, so Juventus are still gathering champs.
Champions League – Match 12 of 16: Benfica vs AEK
Result: 1 – 0
- Benfica: Alex Grimaldo 88′
|9||Shots On Target||0|
- Benfica left the Champions League with a triumph after Alejandro Grimaldo’s brilliant free-kick earned them a 1-0 prevail upon AEK Athens.
- Alejandro Grimaldo scored a radiant 25-yard free-kick to send Benfica out of the Champions League on a high after a 1-0 prevail upon 10-man AEK Athens.
- Marinos Ouzounidis’ side lost the majority of their past five gathering amusements and went into the conflict at Estadio da Luz having lost four of their last six matches yet they effectively kept Benfica under control for 88 minutes.
#Benfica Grimaldo’s goal not only helped #Benfica win and gain 3M in more prize money, but also clinch as a seeded team in the next Europa Draw. Both the Europa (13:00) for Benfica and Champions league Draw for #FCPorto (12:00) will take place this Monday, Dec. 17.
— PortugueseSoccer.com ⚽️ (@PsoccerCOM) December 12, 2018
- Benfica mentor Rui Vitoria will have been frustrated to see winger Rafa Silva leave the field with an injury in the main half, also the inefficiency of his advances when given various early opportunities to score.
- In any case, after Konstantinos Galanopoulos was sent off for a second bookable offense, Grimaldo ventured up to twist home a goal deserving of winning a superior match than this dead elastic between opposite sides whose disposal from the opposition was affirmed before commencement.
Jajaja true, shithouse 1-0 win vs Benfica at home, 2-2 vs Benfica away. 1-0 loss vs Atletico, 0-0 vs Shakhtar. Our away record in the CL under Pep was average. Im not defending Kovac though, but you are exaggerating. https://t.co/SYM9MAMq65
— . (@BundeSabeh1) December 12, 2018
- The Greek victors cut a baffled side in the principal half yet for all their initial strength the Eagles neglected to undermine an opener beside Jardel’s header past the post following four minutes and Grimaldo’s free-kick that twisted wide 10 minutes after the fact.
- A shanked ball simply inside his very own half by AEK’s Ezequiel Ponce permitted Haris Seferovic to experience on goal minutes previously half-time yet the Swiss forward lashed the ball wide from 20 yards.
- Marios Oikonomou seemed to hold Ruben Dias’ shirt as he bounced to head a corner right off the bat in the second half however the official enabled play to go on and AEK had their most obvious opportunity to break the stop when Oikonomou jumped to meet a corner yet headed barely wide.
Benfica win with a late Grimaldo freekick that means AEK Athens end the campaign with 0 points 1-0 #UCL
— TBowdery27 (@TBowdery27) December 12, 2018
- Seferovic tried Vasilios Barkas with a first-time shot from Franco Cervi’s low cross, the goalkeeper getting down well to repel the ball away and the Swiss forward hit the crossbar with a free header minutes after the fact to intensify his baffling night.
- Gedson Fernandes was denied in a one-on-one with Barkas right away before Galanopoulos fouled him to procure his second yellow card, and Grimaldo’s left-footed light up settled the portable fire stick before Seferovic shook one final shot off the crossbar and the post in the diminishing minutes.
For the next four matches, move on to the next page!