A total of 4 matches were played today of the ongoing FIFA world cup 2018 friendly matches. The match wise highlights of all 4 matches are appended below.
Match Wise Highlights
Match 1 Of 5: South Korea Vs Bolivia
Result: 0 – 0
- Despite being not able to qualify for the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2018, Bolivia didn’t allow South Korea to score a single goal in this match.
- South Korea gained a sizeable lead in ball possession, but couldn’t manage to get past Bolivia’s goalkeeper, C.Lampe.
- Both teams went goal-less in the first half as the referee blew the whistle indicating an end to the 1st half.
- Two substitutions were made by South Korea at the start of the 2nd half. But, it didn’t help as Korea’s attacks were constantly blocked by Bolivia’s defenders.
- On the other side, Bolivia who were showing excellent defence play, looked completely confused in attacking play.
— Highlightstore (@Highlightstore1) June 7, 2018
- As, in the whole match not one of their shot was on target.
- But it didn’t matter to them as South Korea couldn’t convert their chances and the match ended in a draw.
Match 2 Of 5: India Vs New Zealand
Result: 0 – 0
- India: Sunil Chhetri 46’
- New Zealand: De Jong, Dyer 86’
- India started the match with 7 changes to their side. Clearly, New Zealand were the favorites to win this match.
- Meanwhile, India’s tactics were clear in this match as they were playing with a 4-3-1-2 formation in an attempt to choke New Zealand for space.
- India took their chances early in the match as the Kiwi goalkeeper almost gifted a goal to India’s captain.
- On the other hand, New Zealand also took their chances in the 1st half of the match. But they also couldn’t convert them into a goal and the first half ended without a single goal scored.
— FirstpostSports (@FirstpostSports) June 7, 2018
- However, a completely different story unfolded in the 2nd half as Sunil Chhetri scored at tht 46th minute to put India in the lead.
- But, New Zealand were quick in their counter attack as De Jong scored swiftly and levelled the scoreboard.
- India were lacking in their play on the left side and it was only a matter of time before New Zealand took advantage of it.
- The game was at its dying moments as only 5 minutes were remaining.
- This is when New Zealand’s Dyer latched on a through ball which came from Sarpreet and finished it off with a goal.
- This goal was enough to win the match for New Zealand and hand India with a loss.
Match 3 of 5: England Vs Costa Rica
Result: 2 – 0
- England: Rashford 13′, Welbeck 76′
- It was a comfortable victory for England over Costa Rica as they continued their preparations for the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2018.
- Marcus Rashford gave England an early start by scoring at the 13th minute of the match.
— Devils Latest (@Devils_Latest) June 7, 2018
- Rashford had been threatening from the very beginning of this match. And, this goal was the reward of his sheer pace and mobility.
- Costa Rica came under pressure from the very minute this goal was scored.
- However, they couldn’t muster up a single goal in the 1st half as it ended with England in the lead by 1 – 0.
- In the 2nd half, England continued to attack on their opponents goal-post. But, this time Costa Rica were blocking them off quite successfully.
- But England weren’t holding anything back at this point and they needed a goal to seal off the match.
- And, this need of theirs was fulfilled by Danny Welbeck who scored at the 76th minute to make it 2 – 0 for Costa Rica.
- This goal was more than enough to get the English side over the line.
- Costa Rica would be disappointed however, their lack of shots on target and inability to convert their chances were the main reasons as to why they lost this match.
Match 4 of 5: Portugal Vs Algeria
Result: 3 – 0
- Portugal: G. Guedes 17′, 55′. Fernandes 37′
- By winning this match Portugal showed that exactly why they are one of the contenders to win this year’s FIFA World Cup 2018.
- Guedes put his team in the lead by scoring at the 17th minute of the match.
- Algeria weren’t given a chance to recover as Fernandes netted the ball at the 37th minute to make it 2 – 0 in the 1st half.
- The Algerians weren’t getting their shots right and so no goals were scored by them in the 1st half as it ended with Portugal in the lead.
- The 2nd half went underway and football fans were expecting a goal from Ronaldo.
- However, it was Guedes who struck his 2nd goal of the match to make the scoreline 3 – 0 at the 55th minute.
- Algeria now had to play extremely well in order to draw much less win this match.
- But, despite having a decent possession on the ball Algerian strikers couldn’t get past Portugal’s defenders.
- Not even a consoling goal was scored by them as Portugal won their last friendly match prior to the FIFA World Cup 2018.
Match 5 of 5: Iceland Vs Ghana
Result: 3 – 0
- Iceland: K. Árnason 6′, Finnbogason 40′
- Ghana: Kasim Nuhu 66′, Thomas Partey 87′
- The 1st half belonged to Iceland as Arnason put them in the lead at the 6th minute of the match.
- This allowed Iceland to take the upper hand in the match as Ghana were under pressure of scoring a goal.
- Taking advantage of their position, Iceland’s Finnbogason scored at the 40th minute and the score was now 2 – 0.
- This was also the final score before the referee pulled his whistle and the 1st half came to an end.
- The 2nd half was a pure example of a comeback and it was staged by Kasim Nuhu and Thomas Partey.
- Kasim struck at the 66th minute while Thomas netted the ball at the 87th minute to level the scoreboard.
- However, unluckily no tie-breaking goal was scored by either side as the match ended in a draw.
That is it for today. Do visit us tomorrow for more FIFA World Cup 2018, International Friendly Matches Highlights.
For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk