Italian Serie A ’18-19 – Highlights: Ronaldo Fails To Score On Debut
These are the first two matches of Serie A, Match Day 1 of 38, that were held on 18th August 2018. The highlights are appended below the points table.
For Complete team rankings, click here
Match 1 of 8: Chievo vs Juventus
Result: 2 – 3
- Chievo: Mariusz Stepinski 38′, Emanuele Giaccherini 56′ (P)
- Juventus: Sami Khedira 3′, Mattia Bani 75′ (OG), Federico Bernareschi 90+3′
|2||Shots On Target||10|
- Federico Bernardeschi scored in stoppage time to make Cristiano Ronaldo a victor on his Juventus debut, as the Italian heroes revitalised to win 3-2 at Chievo Verona.
- Ronaldo may have been kept out of the scoresheet in his first amusement in Serie A, yet his partners did sufficiently enough, to acquire three goals in Juventus’s opening match.
— Sami Khedira (@SamiKhedira) 18 August 2018
- In the first half, Sami Khedira’s initial goal for the Italian club, was eradicated by Mariusz Stepinski, and Emanuele Giaccherini converted a penalty to put the hosts ahead before Mattia Bani’s own goal enabled the guests to win the match.
- Juventus drove inside three minutes when Miralem Pjanic’s free kick into the case discovered Giorgio Chiellini, who gestured back for Khedira to score the opener.
Emre Can and Bernardeschi should be regular starters, Khedira and Cuadrado would make great backups, it shouldn’t be the other way around.
— kassem (@KN1897) 18 August 2018
- The guests had a penalty shootout, later when Douglas Costa pursued a long ball and nourished Joao Cancelo, who could not keep his shot on focus.
- Ronaldo came close to scoring, but hauled his shot only wide from 16 yards.
- Juventus showed up in charge yet Chievo scored seven minutes before the first half came to an end.
Ronaldo’s first half for Juventus ????????? pic.twitter.com/Ymo7vAeKgW
— Melvin. (@badboymelv) 18 August 2018
- After the break, the hosts took a shock, when Cancelo made a late challenge on the driving Giaccherini inside the territory and the previous Juventus winger capitalised the penalty, however he declined to celebrate.
- Ronaldo almost pulled Juventus level in the 66th moment when he averted three defenders and twisted a shot toward the far post. However, Chievo’s goal keeper Stefano Sorrentino saved the superb strike with an excellent dive.
— SemooSetoo (@SemooSetoo) 18 August 2018
- The balancing goal did inevitably come at the 75th minute after Bani headed Federico Bernardeschi’s corner into his own particular net.
- Juventus thought they had the match in control, untin the 86th minute, when Mandzukic fueled in a header and made it 2-2.
- Nevertheless, Juventus were saved by substitute Bernardeschi who assisted Alex Sandro’s low cross to coordinate the ball into the nets as the Italian giants won the match.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s debut for Juventus proved eventful as they came from 2-1 down with 15 minutes left to win 3-2 at Chievo thanks to Federico Bernardeschi’s last-gasp winner.#UCL pic.twitter.com/CgHkU0AVSh
— UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) 18 August 2018
Chievo 2-3 Juventus
Absolutely surreal match, and i’m not even talking about Ronaldo who was excellent all game – A brilliant debut for the Portuguese,
So many lessons to be learned from this game, but in all honesty, I’m just grateful we got the 3 points. FORZA JUVE !!!!!!!!
— Juvefc.com (@juvefcdotcom) 18 August 2018
Match 2 of 8: Lazio vs Napoli
Result: 1 – 2
- Napoli: Arkadiusz Milik 45’+2′, Lorenzo Insigne 59′
- Lazio: Ciro Immobile 25′
|1||Shots On Target||3|
- Last season’s Serie A runner ups, Napoli made a comeback and beat Lazio 2-1 in their first match under Carlo Ancelotti.
- The Partenopei completed second to Juventus last time out in spite of passing the 90-point stop under Maurizio Sarri, who has since left – alongside star midfielder Jorginho – to join Chelsea.
- Ancelotti got off to a triumphant beginning at the Stadio Olimpico, be that as it may, as his Napoli side saw off Lazio through goals from Arkadiusz Milik and Lorenzo Insigne either side of half time.
— Ned Zelic (@NedZelic) 18 August 2018
- Insigne had the main shooting opportunity following some great develop play with Piotr Zielinski, just to shoot over the crossbar.
- The Polish midfielder at that point opened wide, and minutes after the fact Lazio were in front as Ciro Immobile removed three players from the diversion with a solitary touch, before tucking the ball out of Orestis Karnezis’ span.
— Amin Younes (@AminYounes11) 18 August 2018
- Napoli reacted well, approaching through an Insigne shot and after that seeing Zielinski hit the crossbar with his diverted exertion.
- With barely shy of a hour, the visitors put themselves in the lead, as Insigne curled the ball into the top corner of the net.
- Karnezis was called without hesitation again to create a fingertip spare while Immobile was twice obstructed when in a promising position.
— luka (@xxxtrentacion_) 18 August 2018
- There was so almost a late contort in the Italian capital, however, as Francesco Acerbi attemped a shot but was unsuccessful in this attempt.
Visit allsportspk tommorow, for the next matches of Serie A, Match Day 1 of 38.