New Zealand vs England Series – 2nd Test: Day 2 Summary and Analysis
|2nd Test Match – Day 4: New Zealand Vs England|
|Date: 2nd April, 2018|
|Venue: Hagley Oval, Christchurch|
|Umpires: Bruce Oxenford, Marais Erasmus
Toss won by: New Zealand elected to field first
|England’s 2nd Innings: 352/9d (106.4 Overs, RR: 3.3, 452 minutes)
|Performers (Day 4):|
|Batting: James Vince 76 off 128 balls, Joe Root 54 off 128 balls, DJ Malan 53 off 105 balls.|
|Bowling: Colin de Grandhomme 4/94 in 26 overs.|
|New Zealand’s 2nd Innings (ongoing):|
|Performers (Day 4): 42/0 (23 Overs, RR: 1.82)|
|Batting: Tom Latham 25* off 79 balls.|
|Bowling: James Anderson 0/9 in 9 overs.|
|Highlights & Analysis|
1. England had ended Day 3 comfortably with a handsome lead and looked to replicate their performance on Day 4.
2. New Zealand on the other hand looked to take wickets and prevent England from taking the match away from them.
3. England had only lost three wickets and they had scored 262 runs on board. But, after DJ Malan got out to Colin de Grandhomme a series of wickets followed as England lost 5 wickets for only 50 runs.
4. Grandhomme took 4 of these 5 wickets while Neil Wagner claimed the 6thone. England were now leading by 382 runs at this point when the English captain Joe Root decided to declare the innings and let the Kiwis bat.
5. English bowlers now had to take 10 wickets to win this match and draw this two match test series. James Anderson and Stuart Broad gave all of it to the Kiwi batsmen but were unable to claim a wicket.
6. And just as the match was shaping through bad light stopped play and New Zealand ended the match with 10 wickets in hand and 340 runs to win.
7. Day 4 was all about England as they secured a massive lead but the pressure will be on them tomorrow as they would have to take 10 wickets to win this match and draw the series.
JE Root (c)
KS Williamson (c)
C de Grandhomme
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk|