Premier League ’18-19 – Highlights: Milner Scores 49th League Goal
This is the last match of Match Day 2 of 38, that were held on 18th August 2018. The highlights are appended below the points table. In case, you missed the highlights of the first 6 matches click here.
Points Table – Premier League ’18-19
For Complete Premier League 2018-19 team rankings, click here
Match 10 of 10: Crystal Palace vs Liverpool
Result: 0 – 2
- Liverpool: James Milner 45′ (P), Sadio Mane 90+3′
|Crystal Palace||Team Stats||Liverpool|
|2||Shots On Target||6|
- James Milner’s penalty in the 1st half, and a late Sadio Mane strike gave Liverpool a 2-0 triumph over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park.
- It was the Egyptian King, Mohamed Salah who drew the penalty for his team after getting stumbled inside the 18-yard box just before half-time by Crystal Palace’s defender, Mamadou Sahko.
9 shots from Liverpool in that first half! That’s more than we’ve had in the whole of Mourinho’s reign
— Mark Goldbridge (@markgoldbridge) 20 August 2018
- And, the penalty was smoothly converted by Milner who opened his scoring account by striking his 49th goal of the Premier League.
8 – James Milner is the first player to score eight consecutive Premier League goals from penalties. Boring. pic.twitter.com/Pawr9R3n5W
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) 20 August 2018
- Lacking in possession, and unable to penetrate, Liverpool’s defence, Crystal Palace’s first half ended without scoring.
- In the 2nd half, Palace made a few possibilities yet could not locate the net. Andros Townsend hit the bar with a left-footed shot and Luka Milivojevic’s free kick to the upper right corner was avoided by Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson at the 53rd minute.
Just caught the 2nd half of palace-Liverpool, and despite the score line, palace looked good. Even when down to 10 men, defended as a team, denied Liverpool space between the lines, and worked some lovely chances, building up patiently. If they keep playing like that, top half
— Paul Gordon (@gordonpaul93) 20 August 2018
- Be that as it may, the luck continued to favor Liverpool, as Aaron Wan-Bissaka was given a red card for rattling into the back of Salah, and Crystal Palace were reduced to 10 men.
GOAL!!! YES Sadio! Rapid counter attack from the Reds. Mane rounds the goalkeeper and slots the ball into an empty net. 🙌
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) 20 August 2018
- A late goal from Sadio Mane sealed the win for Liverpool, who are now placed at the 2nd position in the points table, just below the defending champions, Manchester City.
Visit allsportspk on 25th August, for the matches of Match Day 3 of 38; Premier League 2018-19.