South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st Test: Day 1
||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|1st Test Match – Day 1: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 12th July, 2018
|Venue: Galle International Stadium
|Umpires: Rod Tucker, Paul Reiffel
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to bat first.
|Sri Lanka’s 1st Innings: 287 all out (78.4 Overs, RR: 3.64)
|Performers (Day 1):
|Batting: FDM Karunaratne 158* off 222 balls, Gunathilaka 26 off 31 balls, Kusal Mendis 24 off 36 balls, Sandakan 25 off 55 balls.
|Bowling: Kagiso Rabada 4/50 in 14 overs, Tabrez Shamsi 3/91 in 25.4 overs, Dale Steyn 1/54 in 13 overs, Vernon Philander 1/28 in 8 overs.
|South Africa’s 1st Innings (continued): 4/1 (4 Overs, RR: 1.0)
|Performers (Day 1):
|Batting: Dean Elgar 4* off 11 balls.
|Bowling: Rangana Herath 1/1 in 2 overs.
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri lanka 1st Innings
- The pitch appeared to be dry with barely any grass on top. This meant that batsmen will find it easy to bat on, however the pitch will become difficult as the surface wears down.
- Sri Lanka won the toss and considering the state of the pitch it was a no-brainer for Lakmal to choose to bat first.
- Gunathilaka and Kaunaratne opened the Sri Lankan innings. Philander and Dale Steyn were given the new ball by Faf du Plessis.
- Both batsmen defied this world class fast bowling pair and started building towards a solid partnership.
- A change was made as Faf du Plessis who brought in the currently ranked No. 1 bowler in tests, namely Kagiso Rabada.
- This move by the South African captain worked, as Rabada struck in his 2nd over to get rid of Gunathilaka to break this opening stand.
- De Silva joined Karunaratne. Both batsmen batted until drinks were called on Day 1.
- After drinks play resumed and Faf du Plessis brought the senior spinner, Keshav Maharaj into the attack.
- Maharaj was getting solid turn and bounce but not a wicket. Now Shamsi, the left-arm chinaman was brought into the attack.
- The senoir spinner induced the pressure from one end and Shamsi struck in his 2nd over to remove De Silva and break this 26 run stand.
- Kusal Mendis joined Karunaratne. Both batsmen added another 23 runs as an evenly balanced session 1 came to an end.
- Shamsi started off the 2nd session with Steyn bowling from the other end. Both batsmen took their partnership to 43 runs and Karunaratne reached his well deserved half century.
- But, Steyn broke this partnership as he claimed the wicket of Kusal Mendis.
- At this point, Sri Lanka were now 3 wickets down with 115 runs on the board.
- Angelo Matthews joined Karunaratne. The pair could only add 6 runs after which Rabada claimed the wicket of Matthews.
- Roshen Silva joined Karunaratne but one ball later Rabada got his wicket with a short ball and suddenly Sri Lanka were 5 wickets down for 119 runs.
- Dickwella joined Karunaratne. Tha pair added another 44 runs to the total after Dickwella became Shamsi’s 2nd wicket and tea was called.
- Play resumed after tea. Perera joined Karunaratne but could only survive one over as Philander got his first wicket of the innings.
- Herath joined Karunaratne but 2 overs later he got run out after a bad call from the opener.
- Lakmal joined Karunaratne. At this point, Sri Lanka were 8 wickets down for 176 runs.
- This partnership became stubborn as the pair added 48 runs to the total and Karunaratne reached his magnificent century.
- This stand was broken finally by Rabada who got is 4th wicket with a short ball. Sandakan joined Karunaratne.
- South Africa needed only wicket to bowl out Sri lanka. But to their dismay the two batsmen kept on batting as they brought up the 50 run stand for the 9th wicket.
- Karunaratne also reached his 150; A proud effort.
- Both batsmen took the total to 250+ runs and turned the tables in this match(South Africa Vs Sri Lanka).
- But, finally Shamsi struck and Sri Lanka were bowled on 284 runs.
South Africa Vs Sri lanka: South Africa 1st Innings
- South African openers, Aiden Markram and Dean Elgar came out to bat. Lakmal gave the new ball to the spinners, Herath and Perera.
- This tactic by the Sri Lankan captain worked as Markram lost his wicket to the experienced Herath.
- Maharaj came in as the nightwatchman. Both batsmen survived the remaining overs as stumps were called on Day 1.
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 1st Test, Day 1. Join allsportpk tomorrow for the 2nd day of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 1st Test Day 2.
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
RAS Lakmal (Capt.)
F du Plessis (Capt.)
Q de Kock (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk