Steve Dainton, CEO of ITTF International Table Tennis Federation has announced that the Women’s World Cup, Men’s World Cup and ITTF Finals will be held in China during November 2020. The games will start after six months delay due to the corona virus pandemic.
The Women’s and Men’s World Cups were planned to be in Bangkok, Thailand, and Dusseldorf, Germany.
He also disclosed following details about the player selection for these events:
- The World Cups will feature 20 female and 20 male athletes.
- The world champion.
- Qualified players from all completed continental events – Africa, Europe and Pan America.
- Players selected by world ranking from the other continents – Asia and Oceania.
- Others according to the provisional World Cup playing system.
- A maximum of two players per association for each World Cup event.
- Top 16 world-ranked male and top 16 world-ranked female players will participate in the ITTF Finals with a cap of 4 players for every association.
Liu Guoliang, President of China Table Tennis Association confirmed holding of the events and said that all necessary arrangements will be made for games in a corona free safety bubble environment.