West Indies Vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test
||West Indies Vs Sri Lanka
| Match Basics
|3rd Test Match – Day 3: West Indies Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 25th June, 2018
|Venue: Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados
|Umpires: Richard Kettleborough, Ian Gould
|Toss won by: West Indies, elected to bat first
| Scorecard Summary
|Sri Lanka’s 1st Innings: 154 all out (59 Overs, RR: 2.61)
|Performers – Day 3:
|Batting: Dickwella 42 off 72 balls.
|Bowling: Shannon Gabriel 3/52 in 15 overs, Jason Holder 4/19 in 16 overs, Kemar Roach 2/30 in 12 overs.
|West Indies 2nd Innings: 93 all out (31.2 Overs, RR: 2.96)
|Performers – Day 3:
|Batting: Kemar Roach 23 off 37 balls, Shane Dowrich 16 off 31 balls, Jason Holder 15 off 30 balls, Cummins 14 off 37 balls.
|Bowling: Lakmal 3/25 in 11.3 overs, Kumara 2/32 in 8.2 overs, Rajitha 3/20 in overs, Perera 1/13 in 3.3 overs
|Sri Lanka’s 2nd Innings: 81/5 (24 Overs, RR: 3.37)
|Performers – Day 3:
|Batting: Kusal Mendis 25* off 38 balls, De Silva 17 off 29 balls, Gunathilaka 21 off 30 balls.
|Bowling: Jason Holder 4/21 in 8 overs, Kemar Roach 1/21 in 7 overs
|Highlights & Analysis
|West Indies Vs Sri Lanka: SL 2nd Innings (Continued)
- Pitch appeared to be the same on Day 3 as few bare patches and grass was going to aid bowlers in getting inconsistent bounce and rattle the batsmen.
- Dickwella and Roshen Silva came out to bat and Gabriel & Roach started it off for West Indies.
- Bowling with excellent line and length, these two bowlers were clearly troubling the batsmen.
- This accuracy did not go unrewarded as few overs later Gabriel snuffed out the wicket of Roshen Silva.
- Perera joined Dickwella. Both batsmen played sensibly and steered clear of West Indies strike bowlers; Gabriel and Roach.
- The West Indian captain, Holder now brought himself and Cummins into the attack.
- Due to his height and bowling stance, Holder was getting good bounce off the pitch. Both batsmen stayed strong for some time but Holder finally got the wicket of Dickwella.
- Perera and Lakmal were present on the crease. This meant that the lower order was now exposed for West Indian bowlers to feast on.
- Holder got Lakmal in his next over, followed by Rajitha of whom he shattered the stumps to claim his 4th wicket of the match.
- At this point, Sri Lanka were 9 wickets down with 150 runs on the board. The Lankans needed at least 56 runs to get in the lead.
- But, unfortunately their luck ran out as Perera got run out in the last over.
- Sri Lanka were all out on 154 runs and were trailing by 50 runs.
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka: WI 2nd Innings
- From the state of the pitch and the performance by the Sri Lankan batsmen, it was obvious that batting on this pitch would be difficult for West Indian batsmen.
- Devon Smith and Brathwaite came out to bat while Lakmal and Kumara started it off for West Indies.
- Smith’s batting woes continued as he fell for a duck much to the joy of the Sri Lankan captain, Lakmal who got his team to a dream start.
- Powell joined Brathwaite. But, Lakmal was in no mood to let West Indian batsmen build up a partnership as he got Brathwaite in his very next over.
- Shai Hope joined Powell. But, Kumara struck in the next over as West Indies lost their 3rd wicket for 9 runs.
- Roston Chase joined Powell. Lakmal and Kumara continued to bowl and the Sri Lankan captain got the wicket of Roston Chase.
- Powell finally got out in the next over as he fell to Kumara. At this point, West Indies had lost half of their wickets and only scored 14 runs.
- The saviours of the 1st innings, Holder and Dowrich were now present on the crease.
- Both batsmen steadily started to mount runs and defy the Sri Lankan bowlers. This forced Lakmal’s hand as he brought Rajitha into the attack.
- Sri Lankan captain’s tactic worked as in his very next over, the young fast bowler struck twice in 3 balls to get rid of Dowrich and Bishoo.
- Roach joined Holder. But, this partnership couldn’t thrive as Rajitha finally got the big wicket of Jason Holder.
- Cummins joined Roach. And, after a nice little partnership of 26 runs, Perera got the wicket of Cummins and now West Indies were 9 wickets down for 82 runs.
- Gabriel joined Roach. This is when Perera’s effort to field the ball got him into an injury and was rushed to the hospital with the umpires calling the dinner break.
- Play resumed after dinner and after adding only 4 runs to the total Gabriel departed; courtesy of Sri Lanka’s excellent fielding.
- With West Indies all out on 93 runs, Sri Lanka now needed 144 runs to win this match and level the series.
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka: SL 2nd Innings
- Udawatte and Gunathilaka walked out to bat while Roach and Gabriel started it off for West Indies.
- Gunathilaka made a brilliant start but Udawatte couldn’t hold on as he got out on a duck off Roach’s bowling.
- De Silva joined Gunathilaka. Both batsmen added another 21 runs to the total before Holder brought himself into the attack.
- The West Indian captain struck straightaway as he took the wicket of Gunathilaka and Sri Lanka were now 2 wickets down for 30 runs.
- Kusal Mendis joined De Silva. Both batsmen added 18 more runs to the total as Sri Lanka now needed less than a 100 runs to win this test.
- The pair was looking solid, but Holder continued with his overs and got the wicket of De Silva. Sri Lanka were now 3 wickets down and still needed 96 runs to win.
- Roshen Silva joined Mendis. But, Holder seemed to be on fire as he got the wicket of Silva in the very next over.
- Dickwella joined Mendis. Both batsmen narrowed the target down to 71 runs and then Holder shattered the stumps of Dickwella claim his 4th scalp.
- West Indies now needed only 4 wickets to win, considering the fact that Kusal Perera was still in the hospital.
- Both batsmen held their ground till rain stopped play and stumps were called.
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka – 3rd Test: Day 2 – West Indies Fightback
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka – 3rd Test: Day 1 – Sri Lanka Dominate
Join Allsportspk tomorrow for Day 3 of West Indies Vs Sri Lanka 3rd Test.
JO Holder (Cpt.)
SO Dowrich (Wkt.)
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
RAS Lakmal (Capt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk
error: Content is protected !!