BWF – Badminton World Federation had announced last that it was suspending all HSBC BWF World Tour and other BWF-sanctioned tournaments till Sunday, 12th April.
The COVID-19 outbreak globally led the BWF, to consult its Continental Confederations and Host Member Associations, and confirm the suspension of these tournaments.
Further, to last announcement, further five tournaments have also been cancelled or postponed. These includes:
- 3 Continental Confederation championships – Suspended.
- VICTOR Croatian International 2020 (16-19 April)
- Peru International 2020 (16-19 April)
- 2020 European Championships (21-26 April)
- Badminton Asia Championships 2020 (21-26 April)
- XXIV Pan Am Individual Championships 2020 (23-26 April)
The following international Para badminton tournaments have also been suspended.
Suspended Para Badminton Tournaments
- African Para Badminton Championships 2020 (20-19 April)
- Uganda Para Badminton International 2020 (27 April – 03 March)
According to BWP, the health, safety and well being of all athletes, their entourage, officials and the greater badminton community remains the top priority for all relevant parties.
In addition, the heightened travel and quarantine restrictions and the subsequent extreme logistical complications this has caused also contributed to the suspension.
All of the five tournaments were to be played within the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games qualifying period, but will no longer contribute to Olympic qualifying as they will now fall outside the qualification window.
In regards to the implications related to the Olympic qualification period , the BWF will make an announcement later on.