IWF-International Weightlifting Federation announced the independent and highly-qualified members of its Disciplinary and Ethics Commission, marking the latest significant step in the federation’s ongoing process of governance reform.
The Commission comprises five independent members, from five continents who are:
- Chair: Dr. Despina Mavromati – Greece and Switzerland
- Attorney-at-law and arbitrator (Greece and Switzerland)
- UEFA Appeals Body Member and former Managing Counsel at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
- Vice Chair: Andrew Minogue – Australia
- CEO of Pacific Games Council
- Significant experience working within multi-sport Games
- Secretary: Prof. Dr. Dr. Moni Wekesa – Kenya
- Member of the World Athletics Disciplinary Tribunal
- Highly experienced lawyer and sports medicine specialist
- Member: Yoshihiro Takatori – Japan
- International Arbitrator (F.C.I.Arb.), Mediator, Attorney-at-law (Japan and New York)
- Executive Director of Japan Association of Arbitrators, Co-Convener of C.I.Arb., Japan Chapter
- Member: Beatriz Merino – Peru
- First female Prime Minister of Peru and Latin America
- Former Senator and Congresswoman, Head of Peru IRS & Customs, National Ombudsman
- President of the largest private university in Peru; and former Executive of Procter & Gamble Co. Peru and Latin America
The Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary were selected by the Commission members themselves, who are also working on the final version of the terms of reference and working procedures.