|3rd Test Match – DAY 3: Australia Vs South Africa|
|Date: 24th March, 2018|
|Venue: Newlands, Cape Town.|
|Umpires: Nigel Llong, Richard Illingworth
Toss won by: South Africa, elected to bat first.
|Australia’s 1st Innings: 255 all out (69.5 Overs, RR: 3.65, 328 minutes)|
|Performers (Day 3):|
|Batting: Tim Paine 34 off 184 balls.|
|Bowling: Rabada 4/91 in 20.5 overs.|
|South Africa’s 2nd Innings(ongoing): 238/5 (72 Overs, RR: 3.3)
Performers (Day 3):
|Batting: Aiden Markram 84 off 145 balls, Ab de Villiers 51* off 103 balls.|
|Bowling: PJ Cummins 2/47 in 19 overs.|
|Highlights & Analysis|
1. Australia were 245/9 as Tim Paine was accompanied by Josh Hazelwood on the crease. Both players intended to extend their team’s total to 300+. But South Africa had other plans for Australia as their fast bowlers put both batsmen under pressure for quite some time.
2. Australia only managed to add 10 runs to the total, when Rabada provided his team with the breakthrough as he removed Hazelwood and Australia were all out for a score of 255 runs.
3. It was South Africa’s turn now and their openers came out to bat knowing that they had a considerable advantage as they were now leading by 55 runs.
4. But the centurion from the previous match Dean Elgar could not hold out for long as Australia’s first innings hero Cummins removed the batsman after Elgar only managed to score 14 runs.
5. From there on, Hashim Amla joined Markram and both these batsmen shared a 76-run partnership after which Cummins struck again and removed Amla.
6. Aiden Markram was playing superbly as he extended his score in the 80’s, however after sharing a partnership of 47 with Ab De Villiers he departed for a well-made 84 off 145 balls.
7. The South African skipper FAF du Plessis came on the crease but his poor form continued as he only managed to score 20 off 44 balls. His wicket was taken by Lyon who trapped him lbw to send him back to the pavilion.
8. In the very next over the middle-order batsmen Bavuma was forced to edge out to the keeper as Hazelwood claimed his wicket for the second time.
9. Quinton de Kock joined Ab de Villiers on the crease and both batsmen shared a 37* run partnership when bad light stopped play.
10. Umpires had to wait to see if the condition would get any better to resume play. But, the condition worsened so Stumps were called for the day.
11. On Day 3 South Africa look clearly ahead in this test match with a substantial lead of 294 runs on the board. With ABD still on the crease South Africa will be hopeful to extend their lead to 400+ tomorrow.
12. Australia meanwhile, will re-group and come back with more aggression tomorrow.
13. That is it for now do join us tomorrow for further updates of this test.
AB de Villiers
F du Plessis (c)
Q de Kock
SPD Smith (c)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk|