ISLAMABAD: Pakistan convincingly beat South Korea by 4-0 in the Davis Cup Asia-Oceania Zone Group-I tie at the grass courts of the Pakistan Sports Complex.
This victory qualifies Pakistan for the Round 2 against Uzbekistan.
On Thursday, the tie draw ceremony was held on 1st February and conducted by Mr. Tom Kinloch a International Tennis Federation’s (ITF) referee.
The match results were:
Friday – 02 February
- Aisam ul Haq beat Soon Woo Kwon 6-3, 1-6, 7-6(8-6)
- Aqeel Khan beat Seong-chan Hong 4-6, 7-5, 7-5.
Saturday – 03 Saturday
- Aisam and Aqeel beat Soon Woo Kwon and Yong-Kyu Lim 2-0 (7-6, 6-4).
- Pakistan’s M. Abid Ali Akbar beat Korea’s Minjong Park 2-0 (7-6, 7-6).
Speaking to media the Pakistan team member’s stated:
Hameed ul Haq, non-playing captain said:
- ” his happiness cannot be expressed for Pakistan winning the tie and all the credit goes to Aisam and Aqeel.”
- “he knew his rival was facing pressure heading into the game.”
- “I used my experience to the fullest, and focused on my serve,” he said, adding that he is hopeful Pakistan will win the next matches too.”
- “our team was weaker than the Koreans on paper but thank God we delivered our best and won the tie.”
- “he wasn’t feeling well today and was in very much pain but thanks to the doctors, federation and the team for supporting him.”
- “Aisam supported me alot and without his and the team’s support this win wouldn’t have been possible.”
For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk