The Week 27 of La Liga saw FC Barcelona regaining their top spot, Real Madrid losing to a minnow and a neck to neck contest between Sevilla and Atletico Madrid. Allsportspk highlights of the Week 27 are:
- FC Barcelona clinched an important ‘table turning’ win against Real Sociedad after what was a nail-biting contest for both the teams. The match remained evenly poised throughout with both the teams possessing the ball for almost the same amount of time. A foul committed by a Sociedad player in Barcelona’s D earned them a penalty which was converted into a goal by Lionel Messi and Barcelona got a match-winning lead of 1-0. This win meant Barcelona had regained the first spot and had to wait for Real Madrid’s match to see if they would remain on the top spot or not.
- Real Madrid lost to Real Betis and dropped back to the second place. Betis beat Madrid 2-1 to seal the win. Betis opened the score line by scoring the first goal, courtesy Sidnei. Real Madrid leveled it after it was awarded a penalty right before the half time and Karim Benzema has converted it. The game remained 1-1 till the 82nd minute where a Cristian Telo special gave Real Betis a lead Real Madrid could not level and they were upset by Betis in a very important contest.
- Atletico Madrid vs Sevilla was another nail-biting contest. Luuk de Jong opened the account for Sevilla by scoring a great goal in the 19th minute. Atletico Madrid came bouncing back, courtesy back to back goals by Alvaro Morata(penalty) and Joao Felix. Sevilla too just took another seven minutes to level back the score line to 2-2 and the all-exciting first half got over right after. The second half remained goalless and the game therefore drew 2-2.
- Mallorca pipped Eibar 2-1.
- Levante vs Granada and Valencia vs Alaves both drew 1-1.
- Athetic Bilbao thrashed Valladolid 4-1, while Osasuna too pipped Espanyol 1-0.
Week 27- Points Table
Points Table Overview
- Barcelona are back on top after Real Madrid lost to Real Betis while Barcelona too beat Real Sociedad as well. Barcelona are two points clear of the first spot now and they too have a better goal difference of two goals as well.
- Real Madrid are second and need to not only win all their following games but also hope that Barcelona too at least draws one of their upcoming league games in order to get back at the top spot. They really need to push hard from now onwards.
- Sevilla have bounced to the third place from fourth after their tie against Atletico Madrid. They trail by nine points from the second spot and by eleven from the first. They still have a long way to go even to maintain their place amongst the top four.
- Getafe FC has dropped to the fifth spot after tying its last game.
- Atletico Madrid have dropped to the sixth place from third despite just drawing a game. This clearly shows how tough is the fight is from third position onwards and the teams need to keep putting good shows in order to at least grab the third and fourth spot and make it to the UEFA Champions League.
- Real Sociedad and Valencia both retain their fifth and seventh spot respectively.
- Celta Vigo drew its important game and is now kind of safe from relegation. The teams that are now on the verge of relegation are Mallorca, Leganes and Espanyol despite Mallorca and Leganes won their respective games.
For more sports updates, keep following Allsportspk