|India Vs England: India’s 1st Innings
- After losing the 2nd test in a row, India made several changes and brought, Rishabh Pant, Shikhar Dhawan and Jasprit Bumrah into the line-up.
- The pitch had a nice covering of grass, and it was going to assist the spinners. For this reason, the English captain, chose to field first.
- On the other hard, Kohli was of the opinion that the pitch appeared to be hard and it will slow down in the next two days, so batting first is the right option for them.
- Indian openers, Shikhar Dhawan and KL Rahul walked out to bat. For England, Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad shared the new ball from both ends.
- After struggling in the first overs, against the new ball, Dhawan shuffled his stance towards off-stump. And, this is where runs began to flow from his bat.
- KL Rahul was also showing little or no movement today, which was allowing him to retain his wicket.
- The pair reached 42 runs in 14 overs, as the hero from the 2nd test, Chris Woakes was introuduced into the attack.
- But, Dhawan and Rahul remained solid as drinks were called on Day 1 of this test.
- Post drinks, the partnership reached 50 runs, also the highest for India so far, in this tour.
- The pair added 10 more runs to the total, after which Woakes snuffed the wicket of Shikhar Dhawan.
- Pujara joined KL Rahul. This partnership lasted only one over, as Woakes struck in his next over to remove KL Rahul.
- Now, Kohli joined Pujara. The pair added 17 more runs to the total, after which Woakes struck once again as Pujara lost his wicket.
- Lunch was called on Day 1 of this test.
- Post lunch, play resumed, as Kohli and the new batsman, Rahane walked out to bat.
- For England, Woakes and Broad continued from each end, clearly hoping to rattle the batsman and get an early wicket.
- The pair looked rusty for some time, but soon settled on the crease. Runs were now coming from both ends.
- And, soon the fifty run partnership came up as the pair looked in form.
- Several bowling changes were made. Even the off-spinner, Adil Rashid was introduced into the attack.
- But, nothing seemed to be working for Joe Root, as Kohli and Rahane continued their onslaughts.
- Soon Kohli reached his fifty, followed by Rahane who also reached the half century mark.
- Runs continued to churn out and the first hundred run partnership of the innings and of this series for India came up. At this points, India had scored 182 runs for the loss of only 3 wickets.
- Tea was called on Day 1 of this test. Post tea, play resumed with Broad and Woakes bowling from each end.
- The partnership continued between Kohli and Rahane, as India breached the 200 run mark.
- Another 41 runs were added by the pair, after which the much needed breakthrough was provided by Broad, as he claimed the wicket of Rahane.
- Now, with India 4 wickets down, Hardik Pandya joined Virat Kohli. Kohli fell just three runs short of his century, courtesy of Adil Rashid who got his first wicket of the match.
- Pant joined Pandya. The pair added another 28 runs, as India breached the 300 run mark. However, Pandya lost his wicket to Anderson as Stumps were called on Day 1 of this test.
India Cricket: Time For Kohli To Step Down As Test Captain?
India Vs England – 2nd Test Day 2: Anderson’s Five Wicket Haul Destroys India
India Vs England – 1st Test Day 4: Stokes The Hero In A Thrilling Victory
India Vs England Test Series 2018: Players Who Could Make An Impact
This is the end of India Vs England 3rd Test, Day 1. Join Allsportspk tomorrow for the 2nd day of India Vs England 3rd test match.