International Champions Cup 2018: Highlights – 23rd July 2018
One match was held today of the ongoing International Champions Cup 2018. The match wise highlights are appended below the points table.
Match 3 of 27: Liverpool Vs Borussia Dortmund
Result: 1 – 3
- Borussia Dortmund: Christian Pulisic 66′ (P), 89′ , Jacob Bruun Larsen 90+3′
- Liverpool: Virgil Van Dijk 25′
|Liverpool||Team Stats||Borussia Dortmund|
|5||Shots On Target||4|
- Having already won their first match of International Champions Cup 2018, Dortmund looked pretty confident of repeating their performance.
- On the other hand, Liverpool were without their strike players, namely Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.
- The first half of this match was quite eventful. First, Loris Karius made a huge blunder of running off his line and almost gifting a goal to Dortmund.
Glad to see Loris Karius is in mid season form pic.twitter.com/RYn4TqD7Ch
— Ned Zeppelin (@DrKevinLynch) 22 July 2018
- Then, at the 17th minute, Liverpool’s defender got injured and went off the field.
- But, luck favoured the Reds as Van Dijk scored a brilliant goal to put his team in the lead.
Andy Robertson with the cross, and Virgil Van Dijk gives Liverpool the lead! pic.twitter.com/XGuzIg9N75
— Liverpool FC Vines (@LFC_Vines) 22 July 2018
- Dortmund missed out on their scoring chances and the 1st half ended with Liverpool in front.
- At the start of the 2nd half both teams made wholesale changes. Some of the players, namely Daniel Sturridge, Mario Gotze, Pulisic and others were substituted into the field.
‘Substitution, Borussia Dortmund. Sergio Gómez replaces Denzeil Boadu.45’Substitution, Borussia Dortmund. Mario Götze replaces Mahmoud Dahoud.45’Substitution, Borussia Dortmund. Marcel Schmelzer… https://t.co/3fV9eKGdQf
— Ogunfuwa Oluwaseyi (@Hopehyehmmy) 22 July 2018
- Liverpool continued their excellent attacking play and came close to doubling their lead.
- Moments after Liverpool’s unsuccessful attempt, Dortmund were awarded a penalty; courtesy of Pulisic who was brought down by James Milner.
- The penalty was taken by Pulisic and he was successful in his attempt. The scorelines were level.
Christian Pulisic’s penalty win and goal. 🙌 pic.twitter.com/X9FR0zKsCs
— USMNT Only (@usmntonly) 22 July 2018
- In the dying moments of the match, Pulisic scored yet again to put his side in the front.
Christian Pulisic scores his second goal in a 3-1 Dortmund win over Liverpool in the ICC 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸 pic.twitter.com/HPQD75h3we
— The Sports Quotient (@SportsQuotient) 22 July 2018
- Liverpool could not equalise in the injury time as Jacob struck the last goal to win the match for his team.
— Borussia Dortmund 🇺🇸🇬🇧 (@BlackYellow) 22 July 2018
Couldn’t beat a top 3 Mexican side and a bottom MLS side. Milan, Liverpool, Madrid and Bayern next, joyyyyy. Look forward to seeing Fred in action next week, any positive i can take right now, where there are very little, with Andreas also being an example.
— Chris (@MetalNfooty) 22 July 2018
Which is cheap considering liverpool spent dbl that for a keeper and its due to Courtois being out of contract next summer
— chris munro (@chrisbhoy77) 22 July 2018
Visit Allsportspk on 26 July for the next 6 matches of the International Champions Cup 2018.