International Champions Cup 2018: Highlights – 8th August 2018
Two more matches were held of the ongoing International Champions Cup 2018. The highlights of the matches are appended below the points table. In case, you missed the matches held on 5th August, click here.
Int’l (Football) Champions Cup 2018 – Full Schedule
International Champions Cup – Match 25 of 27: Chelsea Vs Lyon
Result: 0 – 0(5-4)
- Chelsea: Jorginho, Ross Barkley, Marcos Alonso Mendoza, Cesar Azpilicueta, Eden Hazard
- Lyon: Jordan Ferri, Marcelo, Amine Gouiri, Kenny Tete, Pape Cheikh Diop
|4||Shots On Target||2|
- Chelsea ended their International Champions League campaign on a win, after Lyon were eventually defeated in penalty shootouts.
- In the first half, Lyon created some crucial chances however, constant blocks by the Chelsea goal keeper remained a hindrance in their goal scoring.
Marcin Bulka saves from Depay. He’s had a good pre-season, the young Blues goalkeeper.
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) August 7, 2018
- On the other hand, Chelsea’s defending in the 1st half seemed sloppy and quite uninspired, however neither they nor Lyon could score in the first half.
How about that, Chelsea fans? ?
He did so well until the finish!#ICC2018 pic.twitter.com/3zJK2oUbQs
— Goal (@goal) August 7, 2018
- Late substitutions were made in the 2nd half by Chelsea as Eden Hazard made his way in the middle.
Eden Hazard one of the last players out at Stamford Bridge for the warm up and people noticed. Big ovation as he comes back out on Stamford Bridge. #CFC #OL #ICC2018
— Nizaar Kinsella (@NizaarKinsella) August 7, 2018
- The young athlete made a great chance by taking a free kick, however it could not convert into a goal.
- Similar chances were taken by Lyon but they also could not break the deadlock and the match proceeded into penalty shootouts.
- A spectacular performance was shown by Chelsea in the penalty shootouts, as they scored all 5 of their shots found the back of the net, with the last one being off Hazard’s boot.
Eden Hazard winning penalty pic.twitter.com/VUVgWO97G2
— Mr Sarriball ( Chelsea news ) (@Mrsarriball) August 7, 2018
- On the other hand, Lyon struck the first four successfully, however Pape Cheikh missed the 5th one and Chelsea won by 5-4.
Brilliantly/hilariously Rob Green is the #Chelsea hero on his Stamford Bridge debut as he saves Lyon’s fifth penalty, leaving Eden Hazard to clinch the, ahem, all-important victory ? pic.twitter.com/CYGjD8Ae7Z
— James Clarke (@JamesClarke75) August 7, 2018
Watch as @ChelseaFC beat @OL 5-4 on penalties. #ICC2018 #ChampionsMeetHere brought to you by @Heineken_US
Watch the games LIVE on @espn and @ESPNDeportes pic.twitter.com/RIXUkYtfK4
— International Champions Cup (@IntChampionsCup) August 7, 2018
Chelsea v Lyon thoughts:
– Ampadu and Christensen need to be starters
– Jorginho and Kante’s link up is unreal
– Eden Hazard as captain will be glorious
– Bulka has huge potential
– Emerson should start over Alonso 100%
– Sarriball needs patience
— Mod (@CFCMod) August 7, 2018
Chelsea ended their International Champions Cup campaign by winning 1 of their 3 matches and staggered to 5th in the points table. Meanwhile, Lyon also won only 1 of their 3 matches and staggered down to 11th on the points table.
International Champions Cup – Match 26 of 27: Real Madrid Vs AS Roma
Result: 2 – 1
- AS Roma: Kevin Strootman 83′
- Real Madrid: Marco Asensio 2′, Gareth Bale 15′
|Real Madrid||Team Stats||AS Roma|
|7||Shots On Target||2|
- Real Madrid ended their International Champions Cup campaign with an easy victory over AS Roma.
- Extremely attacking from the very start of the match, Marco Asensio put Madrid in the lead by scoring at the 2nd minute.
- Ball possession remained strong for Madrid and 13 minutes later, Gareth Bale doubled the lead by scoring another goal.
- In reply, AS Roma could not score a single goal as the first half ended with Real Madrid in the lead by 2-0.
Half time at @MLStadium and it’s @ChampionsLeague holders @realmadrid who lead @OfficialASRoma at #ICC2018
Score brought to you by @HennessyUS pic.twitter.com/ZWva9Qasa1
— International Champions Cup (@IntChampionsCup) August 8, 2018
- Early substitutions were made in the 2nd half by both the teams, however Real Madrid still controlled ball possession and continued their attacking approach.
- A goal was finally scored by AS Roma’s Kevin Strootman, 7 minutes before the end of the match.
KEVIN STROOTMAN desconta para a Roma#RealRoma 2⃣-1️⃣ pic.twitter.com/5jK9CqRJL7
— AS Roma Brasil (@ASRoma_Brasil) August 8, 2018
- However, no goals were scored in the dying moments of the game as the Spanish club won their second consecutive match.
Madrid has got Marco Asensio and we don’t need any other player to replace our legendary Cristiano Ronaldo. Looking forward to a great season ahead. La Liga should be the priority in 2918/2019 #HalaMadrid
— Musab Abdulla (@MussabAbdulla) August 8, 2018
▶️ Real Madrid 2⃣-1⃣Roma
⬆️RMA: Marco Asensio 2′, Gareth Bale 15′
⬇️ROM: Kevin Strootman 83′#PegateAlaEmociónDeGanar con https://t.co/jwRtv8DHiS#Únete a @LATINbetVE pic.twitter.com/xZ9q1nYjIB
— Fernando Bravo (@FernandoBravoU) August 8, 2018
Real Madrid ended their International Champions Cup campaign by winning 2 of their 3 matches and staggered to 5th place in the points table. Meanwhile, AS Roma won only 1 of their 3 matches and staggered down to 15th on the points table.
Visit Allsportspk on 12th August for the last match of the International Champions Cup 2018.