Premier League ’18-19 – Highlights: West Ham Stutter Against Brighton’s Murray
This is the first match of Premier League, Match Day 8 of 38. The highlights are appended below the points table.
Points Table – Premier League ’18-19
For Complete Premier League 2018-19 team rankings, click here
Match 1 of 10: Brighton vs West Ham
Result: 1 – 0
- Brighton: Glenn Murray 25′
|Brighton||Team Stats||West Ham|
|4||Shots On Target||4|
- Brighton and Hove Albion recorded their first Premier League win since August 19 on Friday as they defeated West Ham 1-0.
- Glenn Murray’s 6th goal in 7 matches against the Hammers was sufficient to anchor every one of the 3 points for Chris Hughton’s side and end a 6-match run without a triumph.
- West Ham came into the match at the Amex Stadium on the back of an empowering upturn in shape, in which they have drawn with Chelsea, beaten Manchester United and put 8 goals past Macclesfield Town in the EFL Cup.
Friday night football! Buzzing for the Brighton boys.. hard to face a team when they’re on a good run like West Ham were, but 3 hard earned points in the bag tonight. Delighted with the 1st clean sheet of the season too 🙌🏽 (@donhutch4 ain’t happy 😂) #bhafc pic.twitter.com/SF96lPxyvz
— Jules Breach (@julesbreach) October 5, 2018
- In any case, Manuel Pellegrini’s side could summon just 4 shots on focus as they slipped to a 4th annihilation in succession away to Brighton in England’s best flight.
- An even challenge swung Brighton’s direction 25 minutes in, when Murray completed intelligently first time from six yards out after Beram Kayal chose with a cross from the left.
- Pedro Obiang skiped a shot over the bar after Bruno responded well to deny Marko Arnautovic, yet openings were rare for the Hammers in a baffling first half.
— Premier League (@premierleague) October 5, 2018
- The guests’ pressure was increased after the 1st half, as Brighton attempted to kick it into high gear the ball out of their half, with Fabian Balbuena heading wide from barely five yards out before voyaging fans who detected an equalizer.
- West Ham started to look uncovered at the back in their quest for a leveler, however, with Murray passing up on two half-chances with his head in the space of two minutes, the last coming after some fine play from Solly March.
12 – In 2018, the only Englishmen to score more Premier League goals than Glenn Murray (12) are Harry Kane (17) and Jamie Vardy (14). Clinical. pic.twitter.com/HrQgXWpsXD
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) October 5, 2018
- The exuberant Arnautovic kept on undermining, yet Brighton held firm for a critical outcome that turns the warmth back up on Pellegrini, notwithstanding substitute Jurgen Locadia seeing a late tap-in discounted for offside.
Glenn Murray has three times as many Premier League goals in 2018 (12) as Alexis Sanchez and Alvaro Morata do. Between them.
— Richard Jolly (@RichJolly) October 5, 2018
Visit allsportspk, later today, for the next matches of Match Day 8 of 38; Premier League 2018-19.