SAFF Championship 2018: India Defeats Maldives; Will Face Pakistan In Semis
India completed as victors of Group B in the wake of beating the Maldives 2-0 in their last group match of the SAFF Championship 2018.
India Vs Maldives – Match Highlights
- Nikhil Poojary opened the scoring while Manvir Singh multiplied the lead just before the break. This enabled India to complete with 6 points and set up a semi-final with Group A runners-up, Pakistan.
- Stephen Constantine rolled out five improvements from their 2-0 prevail upon Sri Lanka. Davinder Singh, Jerry Lalrinzuala, Vinit Rai, Nikhil Poojary and Manvir Singh came in for Sarthak Golui, Mohammed Sajid Dhot, Germanpreet Singh, Ashique Kuruniyan and Sumeet Passi.
— Syed (@syedwaqasmunir) 9 September 2018
- Maldives made three changes of their own, after their goalless show with the Lankans. Asadhulla Abdulla, Ibrahim Mahudhee and Ahmed Imaaz supplanted Ali Fasir, Naiz Hassan and Hamzath Mohamed.
- Nikhil Poojary could have turned draftsman and scorer of 2 goals inside the initial fifteen minutes itself. In the first place, Mohammed Arif headed the ball into his own post, almost getting away from an own goal which was a consequence of Poojary’s underlying cross.
In a stretch of 1 week, India face Pakistan twice.
One on the football pitch for SAFF Cup Semifinals on Sept 12th.
Second on the cricket pitch during Asia Cup group stages on Sept 19th.
— Harish S Itagi (@harishs94) 9 September 2018
- Captain Anirudh Thapa, from the edge of the crate, sustained a ball to the previous East Bengal man whose header cruised over the bar.
- The 23-year-old presented appropriate reparations and got the opener.
- Ideal on the stroke of half-time, Manvir Singh got his first goal for the country. The Maldives defenderfloundered and Thapa saw a chance to go forward to the FC Goa man. The striker gathered together the ‘manager and opened home into a vacant net.
— Muhammad Umar (@footballista25) 9 September 2018
- India continued gifting set-piece openings yet Petar Segrt’ men neglected to underwrite all through the entire match.
- Late into the diversion, substitute Sumeet Passi could have made it 3-0 yet his great header from Subhasish Bose’s cross went excruciatingly wide.
The last four matches of the SAFF Championship 2018 are scheduled to happen on Wednesday at a similar scene. Nepal play Maldives initially up at 4.00 PM local time while the Indo-Pak tie gets in progress at 7.30 PM local time.
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk