South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st Test: Day 2
||South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|1st Test Match – Day 2: South Africa Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 13th July, 2018
|Venue: Galle International Stadium
|Umpires: Rod Tucker, Paul Reiffel
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka, elected to bat first.
|South Africa’s 1st Innings: 126 all out (54.3 Overs, RR: 2.31)
|Performers (Day 2):
|Batting: Faf du Plessis 49 off 88 balls, Vernon Philander 18 off 86 balls.
|Bowling: Dilruwan Perera 4/46 in 23 overs, Rangana Herath 2/39 in 19 overs, Suranga Lakmal 3/21 in 4.3 overs, Sandakan 1/18 in 8 overs.
|Sri Lanka’s 2nd Innings: 111/4 (37 Overs, RR: 3.0)
|Performers (Day 2):
|Batting: Karunaratne 60 off 80 balls, Gunathilaka 17 off 65 balls.
|Bowling: Keshav Maharaj 3/37 in 16 overs, Rabada 1/28 in 7 overs.
|Highlights & Analysis
|South Africa Vs Sri lanka: South Africa 1st Innings(continued)
- Trailing by 283 runs and 9 wickets in hand, Dean Elgar and the nightwatchman, Keshav Maharaj started off the South African innings.
- Spin was again introduced from Lakmal in the form of Rangana Herath who aimed to rattle the batsmen with his variations.
- This plan worked as the South African pair lasted only two overs after which Herath pinned Maharaj lbw and got his second wicket of the innings.
- The experienced Hashim Amla joined Dean Elgar. But, this partnership could only survive for 2 overs as Elgar fell to Perera’s outstanding bowling.
- Bavuma joined Hashim Amla. At this point, South Africa were 3 wickets down with only 13 runs on board.
- Both batsmen added 27 more runs to the total after which Perera got the big wicket of Hashim Amla.
- Now the South African captain, Faf du Plessis joined Bavuma. After 2 overs, Sandakan was introduced into the attack.
- This move bore fruit as the bowler struck in his very first over to claim the wicket of Tim Bavuma.
- Drinks were called on Day 2 of this match. At this point, South Africa had lost half their wickets and were still trailing by 200+ runs.
- Post drinks, Quinton De Kock joined Faf du Plessis. De Kock was not looking confident in playing Dilruwan Perera and gave his wicket in the very same over as South Africa lost their 6th wicket.
- Vernon Philander joined Faf du Plessis. The pair defied the Sri Lankan spinners as Philander held one end and du Plessis began to score from the other.
- Both added 61 runs to the total after which Dilruwan came round the wicket to claim the wicket of Philander.
- South Africa’s struggles continued as in the very next over, Faf du Plessis was denied a half century by Lakmal.
- Rabada and Steyn were now present on the crease and South Africa were 8 wickets down for 115 runs.
- With two wickets left, the Sri Lankan captain continued to bowl from the other end and took the wickets of Rabada and Steyn in consecutive overs.
- South Africa were bowled by Sri Lanka on 126 runs; The lowest total of South Africa against Sri Lanka.
South Africa Vs Sri lanka: Sri Lanka 2nd Innings
- With a solid lead of 161 runs on the board, Sri Lankan openers, Gunathilaka and Karunaratne came out to bat.
- Steyn and Rabada bowled from both ends in hopes of some quick wickets.
- The batsmen stayed strong and Faf du Plessis brought Maharaj and Shamsi from both ends in order to get a breakthrough.
- Contrary to the South African batsmen, these two played spin really well and brought up the first 50 run partnership of this innings.
- But Gunathilaka departed in the very next over as Maharaj got his wicket and South Africa finally got their first wicket of the match.
- De Silva joined Karunaratne. Both batsmen added 12 more runs to the total after which Maharaj claimed the wicket of De Silva.
- Kusal Mendis joined Karunaratne but his stay lasted only two balls as the spinner got the wicket of Mendis and Sri Lanka lost their third wicket.
- Angelo Matthews joined Karunaratne. The pair added 28 runs to the total as Karunaratne reached yet another half century.
- Now, Rabada was introduced into the attack and the fast bowler finally claimed the wicket of Karunaratne.
- Roshen Silva joined Angelo Mathews. At this point, Sri Lanka were in the lead by 253 runs with 6 wickets in hand.
- With only 4 overs more to go, South Africa were looking for a wicket but Matthews and Roshen Silva stood strong as Sri Lanka ended their day with a lead of 272 runs.
South Africa Vs Sri Lanka – 1st Test: Day 1 – Sri Lanka Strongly Resist
This is the end of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 1st Test, Day 2. Join allsportpk tomorrow for the 2nd day of South Africa Vs Sri Lanka 1st Test Day 3.
DM de Silva
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
RAS Lakmal (Capt.)
F du Plessis (Capt.)
Q de Kock (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk
error: Content is protected !!