UEFA Nations League – Mbappe, Giroud Strike A Win Over Netherlands
- France striker Olivier Giroud finished a run of 10 global recreations without a goal by striking a staggering goal, as the title holders asserted a merited 2-1 triumph over the Netherlands in their UEFA Nations League match.
- The night began with a stirring version of La Marseillaise, as France played their first home match, since lifting the World Cup in July.
France 🇫🇷 1-0 🇳🇱 Netherlands HT
Kylian Mbappe’s 14th minute goal is the difference at the interval. The teenager has had twice as many shots (four) in the first 45 minutes as the entire Netherlands team.
— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) 9 September 2018
- The magnificent Kylian Mbappe set France on their way with a first-half opener, yet forward Ryan Babel balanced for the guests with their solitary important shot on target.
- Giroud created a snapshot of enchantment with a wonderful volley a little ways from full time to seal the win, as France recorded a 5th progressive triumph over the Dutch.
- Deschamps kept a similar beginning lineup that drew 0-0 with Germany on Thursday, an indication of his longing to top France’s homecoming with a triumph and keep the World Cup after-party going all out.
Watching France play Netherlands in the UEFA Nations League and I am wondering what happened to Dutch football.They had the most eye-catching brand of football back in the day.
— Felix Kwakye Ofosu (@FelixKwakyeOfo1) 9 September 2018
- Mbappe tried the reflexes of Dutch goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen at an opportune time, as the energetic forward provided a disappointing finish from Antoine Griezmann’s pass.
- However, 13 minutes after the missed chance, Mbappe put his team in the front, courtesy of a mix-up from Dutch midfielder Quincy Promes.
- His header went straight to Blaise Matuidi, whose cut-back gave a tap-in to an appreciative Mbappe.
- Griezmann was sharp with his passing and a radiant ball was ideal for fullback Lucas Hernandez, who could just sky his shot well wide.
France 1-0 Netherlands HT:
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) 9 September 2018
- Cillessen at that point demonstrated excellent presence of mind, to spare at the feet of a flooding Mbappe just before the break, maintaining a strategic distance from the sort of contact that could without much of a stretch have brought about a penalty.
- After Georginio Wijnaldum had hauled a decent opportunity, the Netherlands levelled on 66 minutes with their significant shot on focus, as Babel packaged the ball in off his knee from a Kenny Tete cross after a quick break down the right wing.
Meanwhile in France… The FIFA World Cup celebrations continue 🏆🇫🇷
(via IG: equipedefrance) pic.twitter.com/8KMMCAFvBB
— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) 9 September 2018
- It was the previous Liverpool forward’s first goal in an international, since he got his debut against Romania in a World Cup qualifier 13 years back.
- Giroud, in any case, finished his own particular goal draught, as he ripped in front of Virgil van Dijk and created a sublime volley from Benjamin Mendy’s cross to take his universal goal count to 32.
Liverpool have to stop MBappe on Tuesday
His explosiveness and his pace is frightening
I’m watching him now
he is the most dangerous footballer in the world at the moment #LFC
— SCARFACE (@LFC_LION) 9 September 2018
For more updates keep visiting allsportspk