||West Indies Vs Sri Lanka
| Match Basics
|2nd Test Match – Day 1: West Indies Vs Sri Lanka
|Date: 14th June, 2018
|Venue: Darren Sammy National Cricket Stadium, Gros Islet, St Lucia
|Umpires: ML Udawatte, CAK Rajitha
|Toss won by: Sri Lanka , elected to bat first
| Scorecard Summary
|Sri Lanka’s 1st Innings: 253 all out (79 Overs, RR: 3.2)
|Performers – Day 1:
|Batting: Dinesh Chandimal 119* off 186 balls, Mendis 45 off 83 balls, Perera 32 off 55 balls.
|Bowling: Gabriel 5/59 in 16 overs, Kemar Roach 4/49 in 18 overs.
|West Indies 2nd Innings: 2/0 (2 Overs, RR: 1.0)
|Performers – Day 1:
|Batting: Smith 0* off 6 balls, Brathwaite 2* off 6 balls.
|Bowling: Lakmal 0/2 in 1 over, Dananjaya 0/0 in 1 over.
|Highlights & Analysis
|West Indies Vs Sri Lanka: SL 1st Innings
- After rain delayed the start of play, the toss was held and Sri Lankan captain opted to bat, considering the state of the pitch(hard) and putting their opponents under pressure.
- Perera and the debutante, Udawatte opened the innings for Sri Lanka and Kemar Roach was given the new ball.
- West Indies made a dream start to this test. As, Gabriel claimed the wicket of Udawatte who went back without scoring.
- Silva joined Perera. West Indies pacers were constantly varying their lengths and putting the batsmen under pressure.
- And, finally Sri Lanka succumbed to the pressure and lost yet another wicket to Gabriel who shattered his stumps.
- The centurion from the 1st test, Mendis joined Perera. After a few overs, Holder brought himself and Cummins into the attack.
- The two batsmen easily scored runs off the two and a change in bowling was made as Roach was inserted back into the attack.
- This move from the West Indies captain worked as Perera departed after a well-crafted innings.
- The Srilankan captain, Dinesh Chandimal joined Mendis. At this point, Srilanka had lost 3 wickets with only 59 runs on the board.
- The West Indies captain Jason Holder brought Gabriel back to squeeze another wicket.
- But, the two batsmen denied any more wickets and lunch called on Day 1.
- After lunch, both batsmen continued from where they left off and brought up the first 50-run partnership of the day.
- Mendis was only 17 runs from his fifty but he was denied this milestone by Holder who got his wicket by bowling short.
- Roshen Silva joined Chandimal. Both batsmen batted long enough to preserve their wickets and drinks were called.
- After drinks, Chandimal reached yet another fifty; A captain’s innings no less.
- But, a replenished West Indies pace-attack came back hard at the two batsmen. And, Gabriel got his 3rd wicket as he generated some extra bounce off the pitch.
- Dickwella joined Chandimal. And, both batsmen took their team above 150 until tea on Day 1 was called.
- The final session started as West Indies continued to channel their aggression in hopes of getting a wicket.
- And, their hard work came through as Gabriel took his 4th wicket of the match to send Dickwella back to the pavilion.
- Dananjaya joined Chandimal. But his stay lasted only 10 balls as Roach claimed his 2nd wicket of the match.
- At this point, West Indies Vs Sri Lanka was now becoming one-sided.
- Lakmal joined Chandimal. Sri Lanka reached 200 runs but their happiness was short-lived as Lakmal got out as Gabriel claimed his 5th wicket.
- Rajitha joined Chandimal. Both batsmen shared a 31-run partnership as Chandimal completed a fighting century; A sensational knock by the Sri Lankan captain.
- Sri Lanka were now closing on 250 runs when their progress was halted by Roach who took Rajitha’s wicket and Sri Lanka were 9 down at this point.
- Kumara joined Chandimal. But, Roach got him out as Sri Lanka finished their innings on 253 runs with the Sri Lankan captain unbeaten on 119 runs.
West Indies Vs Sri Lanka: SL 2nd Innings
- Brathwaite and Smith opened the innings for WI and Lakmal was given the new ball by his captain.
- 2 overs were bowled as the day came to a close with West Indies trailing by 251 runs and 10 wickets in hand.
Join Allsportspk tomorrow for Day 2 of West Indies Vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test.
JO Holder (Cpt.)
SO Dowrich (Wkt.)
DM de Silva
LD Chandimal (Cpt.)
N Dickwella (Wkt.)
|For updates regularly visit: Allsportspk