World Archery released the processes which have been altered due to the coronavirus pandemic and the delay of Games by an year.
According to released information the modified qualification procedures for both the major events – 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympic Games have the approval of the IOC – International Olympic Committee and IPC – International Paralympic Committee.
The archery events at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics are scheduled to start from 23rd July 2021.
The original documents were released in March 2018, however, due to coronavirus pandemic the documents have been updated. The main principles of the original documents are the same but the certain issues such as quota places, deadlines in the entry process and the events at which they can be obtained have been addressed as follows:
- The qualifying nation retains all places already it has already qualified for Tokyo 2020. The choice of selecting the athlete is still with each country.
- 87 of the 128 quota places are already awarded for the Tokyo Olympics. As for Paralympics 93 of the 140 spots have been distributed till present.
- During 2020 no further Olympic or Paralympic qualification events will be held. Where required, the qualification events planned according to the original procedure will be rescheduled during 2021.
- A complete 2021 season schedule will be announced when restrictions on travel and events begin to be relaxed.
The Key changes mentioned in the updated document are as follows:
Key Changes of Olympic Procedure
- Continental qualification events in the Americas, Europe and Oceania are delayed until spring/summer 2021.
- The final qualification tournament is delayed until summer 2021 and is planned to take place as a separate tournament alongside the Paris stage of the 2021 Hyundai Archery World Cup.
- The period in which athletes can shoot minimum qualifying scores has been extended until 28 June 2021, excluding the period 1 April to 30 June 2020.
- The deadline for applications for tripartite invitations has been delayed.
- The deadline for National Olympic Committees to confirm places won at all events except the final qualifier is tentatively set as 1 June 2021, and for the final qualifier is tentatively set as 2 July 2021.
- The entry deadline for the Olympic Games is 5 July 2021.
For complete Procedure visit: Olympic Games Qualification Procedure
Key Changes of Paralympic Procedure
- Continental qualification events in the Americas and Europe are delayed until spring/summer 2021.
- The final qualification tournament is delayed until summer 2021.
- The period in which athletes can shoot minimum qualifying scores has been extended until 15 July 2021, excluding the period 1 April to 30 June 2020.
- The period of application for bipartite invitations is rescheduled for 1-31 May 2021.
- The deadline for National Paralympic Committees to confirm places is 20 July 2021.
- The entry deadline for the Paralympic Games is 2 August 2021.
For complete Procedure visit: Paralympic Games Qualification Procedure