Champions League ’18-19 – Highlights: Messi Frustrated As Barcelona Draw With Lyon
These are the 5th and 6th matches of Champions League, Round of 16, Leg 1 of 2. The highlights are appended below:
For Complete Champions League 2018-19 team rankings, click here
For Complete Champions League 2018-19 schedule, click here
Round Of 16 – Leg 1 Of 2 – Match 5 of 8: Lyon vs Barcelona
Result: 0 – 0
|2||Shots On Target||5|
- Barcelona were held to a disappointing 0-0 draw at Lyon their Champions League keep going 16 first leg on Tuesday as the two sides stayed undefeated in this current season’s opposition.
- The La Liga pioneers overwhelmed the match at the Groupama Stadium however needed precision in advance and were thankful to their goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen, who made two incredible recoveries.
— OptaJose (@OptaJose) February 19, 2019
- Lyon were exuberant in the principal half after the mentor, Bruno Genesio, sprung a shock by handling Martin Terrier on the left wing rather than Maxwell Cornet – and the 21-year-old did not disillusion. Anyway the side came up short on steam after the break and were hanging on in the end organizes as Lionel Messi attempted futile to open up the home safeguard. The second leg will be at the Camp Nou on 13 March.
- Barcelona had ruled the ownership right off the bat, yet Lyon had the initial two shots on target and it took two or three magnificent recoveries from Ter Stegen to deny the hosts.
Barcelona have failed to win their last six away games in Champions League knock out rounds: Lost to Atletico, PSG, Juventus, Roma, drawn with Chelsea and Lyon. Last away win was against Arsenal in February 2016.
— Richard Martin (@Rich9908) February 19, 2019
- He extended to one side to repel a horrible low shot by Hassem Aouar in the fifth moment before making a one-gave spare to tip a 25-yard Terrier strike on to his crossbar.
- Ousmane Dembélé approached in the nineteenth moment when the Barcelona forward spilled past Leo Dubois on the left flank, just for Anthony Lopes in the Lyon goal to deny him in a one-on-one.
🏟 130 Games
⚽️ 106 Goals
🎯 28 Assists
🙌 Unbelievable record. pic.twitter.com/SYo2GnSSLv
— SPORF (@Sporf) February 19, 2019
- The guests had the advantage with 25 endeavors yet were strangely inefficient with just five on focus as they spurned a few counterattacking openings.
- A Dembélé endeavor shaved Lopes’ post before Terrier skied a shot over the bar after a wonderful arrangement of one-twos destroyed the Barça defence as the two sides attempted to break the stop.
- Lyon were under attack from the get-go in the second time frame however their protection was splendidly marshaled by Jason Denayer, with Dubois additionally demonstrating unequivocal against Luis Suárez.
Barcelona’s performance wasn’t that bad, but beyond that we have this: One of the biggest clubs in the world is being coached by a coward that is unable to play an away match in the Champions League without being afraid, being a coward.
— Rafael Hernández (@RafaelH117) February 19, 2019
- Lopes beat Messi’s calculated shot away to keep his side dimension before Dembélé was supplanted by Philippe Coutinho, who had a reasonable possibility in the 76th moment yet was denied by the in-structure Lopes.
- Barça have now neglected to win any of their last six away recreations in the Champions League knockout stage, with their last triumph coming at Arsenal in February 2016.
Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich
Lyon 0-0 Barcelona
The second set of results from the Champions League last 16 first legs sees no goals in either game. pic.twitter.com/1pmoAITJ1X
— Squawka News (@SquawkaNews) February 19, 2019
Round Of 16 – Leg 1 Of 2 – Match 6 of 8: Liverpool vs Bayern
Result: 0 – 0
|2||Shots On Target||0|
- Jürgen Klopp’s forecast of a “blockbuster” between the two five-times victors of Europe was lost. His notice about the quality of his old enemies from Bayern Munich was definitely not. The astute heads as opposed to the old legs of the German bosses won as Liverpool were baffled at Anfield without precedent for this current season’s Champions League.
- Liverpool kept up their record of failing to have lost to German restriction at home in Europe and stretched out their unbeaten raced to 20 European ties at Anfield.
⏰ RESULTS ⏰
— UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) February 19, 2019
- A goalless draw will likewise mix recollections of the 1981 semi-final, when Liverpool progressed on the away goals rule in the second leg in Munich. I
- n any case, these felt like small reassurances for Klopp’s men against rivals who, under change with Niko Kovac, have shown uncommon defenselessness this season. Be that as it may, not here. Bayern were guaranteed, flexible and once in a while agitated.
- Sadio Mané got his opportunities to modify the appearance of the keep going 16 tie in any case, on a night when Alisson passed in the Liverpool goal, Bayern were in any event powerless to underwrite with a telling ceaselessly goal.
OPTA | Manuel Neuer had 70 touches against Liverpool, more than in any other Champions League game in his career.
SWEEPER KEEPER pic.twitter.com/fObQGkYS9V
— Bayern mania (@Bayern_mania) February 19, 2019
- Liverpool must enhance fundamentally on their European away exhibitions so far this season to safeguard their expectations of going one better in this present season’s opposition.
- The Champions League has given a moving discharge to Liverpool amid fruitless occasions in the Premier League however the dynamic has adjusted with Klopp’s group in quest for the club’s first title since 1990.
— OptaFranz (@OptaFranz) February 19, 2019
- Maybe that clarified the underlying absence of power and assurance in Liverpool’s execution with a key household date anticipating at Manchester United on Sunday. Or then again maybe, more probable, the group that has ruled in Germany since 2012 were not the squeaking, helpless unit promoted.
- Bayern were quiet, cleaned and astute under lock and key when on the front foot, though caught inside their very own penalty region routinely by Liverpool’s squeezing match.
— Liverpool News 365 (@iLiverpoolApp) February 19, 2019
- An element of the opening trades was the goalkeeper Manuel Neuer sitting tight with the ball for an outlet that never emerged. Mats Hummels met a pressing question amid a break in play with David Alaba and Javi Martínez to address the issue and, once Thiago Alcântara and James Rodríguez offered a departure course, the guests’ showcase enhanced fundamentally.
- It was helped in no little part, be that as it may, by Liverpool’s guard surrendering chances very efficiently for this dimension of rivalry.
I can’t believe that in a Champions League game between Liverpool and Bayern Munich, Jordan Henderson is playing like the best player on the pitch.
Lord bless us and save us.
— Paddy Power (@paddypower) February 19, 2019
- A drop in the flexibility and association that has described Liverpool’s title test may have been normal with Virgil van Dijk serving a one-coordinate suspension however it was not his substitution, Fabinho, who offered Bayern support in the principal half. Alisson, Klopp’s confided in goalkeeper, was reliably indiscreet with his dissemination and had just gotten away with one free go to Thiago when he hesitated excessively long on a Joël Matip backpass.
- Robert Lewandowski bothered the Brazil worldwide into a blunder that finished with Kingsley Coman breaking free on the left yet shooting into the side-netting. In decency to the Liverpool attendant he made an essential square from Matip at short proximity when the focal protector cut a Serge Gnabry cross towards his very own net.
🔴 Liverpool in 2019…
– Got kicked out of the FA Cup by Wolves
– Lost their unbeaten streak in the Premier League
– Dropped to 2nd place in the Premier League
— The Sportsman (@TheSportsman) February 19, 2019
- Bayern likewise presented issues at set-pieces at the same time, kindly for Klopp’s tension dimensions on the touchline, his group rediscovered their guarded control and assaulting energy after the half-hour mark.
- Mohamed Salah had volleyed Liverpool’s first open door gently at Neuer when selected by an eminent ball over the best from Jordan Henderson, who awed against Bayern’s midfield three. The Egypt worldwide additionally headed a clearer opening wide when Trent Alexander-Arnold’s enticing throw from the left discovered him plain at the back post.
— Jay Holsgrove (@JamieHolsgrove) February 19, 2019
- Liverpool’s most obvious opportunity with regards to the primary half arrived at the feet of Mané. Roberto Firmino, ready to protect his record of highlighting in each European match for Liverpool under Klopp having recouped from an infection, discharged Naby Keïta with a deft touch.
- Keita’s shot avoided off Niklas Süle into Mané who, plain yet with his back to goal, hauled a shot well wide on the turn. Mané endeavored to offer some kind of reparation with a showy overhead kick from another redirected Keïta exertion yet with a similar outcome. A stumble on the Senegal worldwide by Joshua Kimmich yielded the primary booking of the night and guaranteed the persuasive full-back will be suspended from the second leg in Munich.
Liverpool attempted 10 shots in the first half against Bayern, the most any side has managed against FCB in the first half of a Champions League match this season.
They wouldn’t have wanted that half to end. 😩 pic.twitter.com/PG3kG0qfQA
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) February 19, 2019
- Kimmich’s nonattendance might be felt at the Allianz Arena. Fabinho limited the effect of Van Dijk’s on Liverpool with a created showcase in the core of barrier. Together, the Brazilian midfielder and Matip kept Lewandowski on the outskirts of the challenge with Bayern’s most splendid minutes given by Coman and Gnabry down the flanks.
- The Poland striker’s first feeling of goal landed from a Coman cross right off the bat in the second half however Fabinho mediated with an all around planned handle. He created another to keep the France worldwide driving a risky counterattack late on.
- The Bayern execution was progressively wellbeing cognizant the more drawn out the stalemate remained, however welcoming Liverpool forward in numbers was not without its dangers.
Allison been shit tonight. If Liverpool want a keeper I know one. Young. German. Has PL experience. Played in a Champions League final where he assisted 2 goals. Potential. pic.twitter.com/tAJVJc0mfO
— J.M. (@FutbollHeritage) February 19, 2019
- Süle was lucky to see his leeway strike Andy Robertson and sail over Neuer yet additionally wide of goal when he blocked one Liverpool counterattack. Gnabry was required for an essential cautious touch similarly as Mané examined another sight of Neuer’s goal as Liverpool looked for a leap forward.
Keep visiting allsportspk, for regular updates of Champions League 2018-19.